pH level...worried!!!

Deano

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My tank has been up and running for around 5 months and the pH was stable for the first 4 months at around a pH of 7.

Over the last month the pH has been dropping lower and i tested the water earlier and it is now at 6. Im worried if this is too acidic for the fish i have in my signature

Any ideas???

Ive only got a few stones in my tank but they have been in there a long time before the pH started dropping. Is a pH of 6 dangerous for the fish in my signature?

Not entirley sure, but I can't see a ph of 6 being a problem.
The Tetras will certainly enjoy it.

I'd be more worried about the fact that my PH is moving, as stability is more important than outright value.

Are you using CO2? Have you chanegd anything in the tank lately?
Test the water from the tap, and see what value you get there.

Ian.

I dont use any CO2 and i havent changed anything in my tank lately.....im gonna test my tap water tomorrow.

Another problem is that my pH testing kit only tests to a pH of 6, no lower, so my water could be lower in pH than 6 which is a worry.....think im going to get a different kit which tests a higher range of pH

Same thing i thought when i got a 6.0 reading. A high-range kit won't help...they start at a higher level.
if the ph of your tap is higher, test for hardness...GH & KH, more relevent here is the KH. this is what helps to keep your pH steady.

some rocks/ stones could lower the PH
The concern with rocks affecting pH is that some are capable of raising it. ;)
Have u removed any rocks? :unsure:

In addition to what the other posters wrote, I'm interested to hear about your water changes. How much/frequently? As mentioned pH of your tap water would be good to test as well. Water chemistry in a 12 gallon tank I understand can be harder to keep stable because of the smaller volume.

I havent removed any rocks.

The test kit i have at the momet does not allow me to test the KH....will be getting one soon though.

Because of the small volume of the tank i change about 40%-50% of the water every thursday....as a result my water quality is very good....with the pH being the only worry for me.

Most reactions

Back