Ph Issues...i'm Baffled

Yes, CO2 decreases pH as it combines with water to make some acid (carbonic I think, H2CO3 makes sense right?), so lots of photosynthesis will mean less CO2, and an increase in pH. Adding CO2 would be the solution, but may be overkill, as it's a bit of hassle.
To test this theory you should test the pH at the maximum and minimum times of the day. So pH should be high in the afternoon (after lots of sun) say 4pm, and then lower very early in the morning 4am. Best to test on a sunny day obviously. If you see this stark change then you can be sure it's to do with photosynthesis I would say.

You can always check the rocks by taking them out and putting some ordinary white vinegar on them. If they foam then they are calcareous and will be increasing the pH. This might be worth it if you aren't exactly sure what all the rocks are.

Bear in mind that the effective toxicity of ammonia goes up with pH, and also don't forget that pH is log scale. I'm sure you have ammonia under control anyway, but basically this means that ammonia is a lot more toxic at pH8.2 compared to pH7. More than 10 times as toxic at least. I'm sure you are looking after your tank so ammonia isn't an issue anyway :good:
 
The low nitrates actually fits with the high pH due to photosynthesis as plants will use nitrates. Sounds to me like your plants are loving your tank. Do you have a lot?
 
Yep, no ammonia issues. I think well planted would be the best way to put it - 4 good size Java Ferns, plus another plant that I can't ID. Plus plenty of algae, the Oto's seem to fight a losing battle against it. Not out of control but enough.

I start work at 5 tonight, and finish at 3 so I'll try what you suggested. And I'll give the vinegar test a try.
 
Its not slate, but its not bubbling upon adding distilled malt vinegar.

I'm going to leave them out and add some plant pots for hiding spots instead and test again in a couple of days. As well as doing the overnight testing.
 
Instead of plant pots you could always use coconut caves, look lovely IMO, I have four full size coconut caves in my tank and the rams love them. Dont alter the ph either, if anything they may lower it just a smidge :)
 
Instead of plant pots you could always use coconut caves, look lovely IMO, I have four full size coconut caves in my tank and the rams love them. Dont alter the ph either, if anything they may lower it just a smidge :)

I'm really not a fan of coconut caves in all honesty. I'll pick up some pots because they're cheap. In the mean time I've removed all rocks from the tank. I'm going to do a 50% water change tomorrow and will test pH again on Monday to check if its the rocks. I have done the vinegar test, with no bubbling/fizzing, so I'm assuming they're inert but this seems the easy way to test.
 
Just had a thought. You don't want to try changing the pH (especially with any additives) because that will more likely get you into trouble with keeping it stable, which is much worse than just having it a bit high, and it's not dangerously high anyway. But one reasonable safe way to lower the pH a little bit would be to add a bit of bogwood. Up to you on whether you can fit it in, or whether you want it in your tank, but it is supposed to lower pH a tad.
 
I'm not overly worried about the community tank, its the apisto tank I was planning on setting up that I'm worried about. Its going to take me a month or so to set up, so I'll test the water once its up and cycled and see if its something peculiar to my community tank.

I'll definately be adding plenty of bogwood, and someone mentioned peat as being an option..shall see what its like once the tanks cycled though.

Thanks.
 
My tap water comes out at a shoddy 6.0 but my tank tests at 7.6 or a bit higher. My dechlorinator is what raises the PH so much. I found that out one day when I forgot to test the tap water before filling the bucket up so I tested out of the bucket and the PH was 7.6 which I've never gotten out of the tap. So, I double checked the tap and yep..it was 6.0.
 
My tap water comes out at a shoddy 6.0 but my tank tests at 7.6 or a bit higher. My dechlorinator is what raises the PH so much. I found that out one day when I forgot to test the tap water before filling the bucket up so I tested out of the bucket and the PH was 7.6 which I've never gotten out of the tap. So, I double checked the tap and yep..it was 6.0.

Hmm, thats strange. I've just tested with and without dechlor and its about 7.2 out of the tap, and close to 7.6 with dechlor which goes some way to explaining it.
Is there any alternative to using dechlor? I remember someone mentioning something about leaving water out overnight instead, or something to that effect?
 
Hmm, thats strange. I've just tested with and without dechlor and its about 7.2 out of the tap, and close to 7.6 with dechlor which goes some way to explaining it.
Is there any alternative to using dechlor? I remember someone mentioning something about leaving water out overnight instead, or something to that effect?
I think if you leave it out for a long time the chlorine will gas off. However, if you have chloramine in your tap water then you can't get rid of it this way.
 
What dechlor are you using? Try changing brand. I use nutrafin aqua plus and it doesnt change my ph at all.

As above leaving the water standing overnight might help with the chlorine, but the chloramine will still be present unfortunatley.
 
I'll speak to 3 valleys, find out if theres chloramine in the water. Might say on their website even.

I use the King British stuff, if the above isn't an option I'll try the nutrafin stuff you use, see how that goes.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top