Ph Issues...i'm Baffled

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Joined
May 3, 2008
Messages
2,229
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Beds, UK
I've just picked up an API test kit and tested my pH levels for the first time. Truthfully, I'm baffled.

My tapwater is coming out at 7.0, but my tank water is showing at 8.2. I've tested twice and getting the same results.
I've heard of variation between at the tap, and in the tank - but that seems like quite alot?
 
Morning, that does seem quite a difference, anything in the tank that could be raising the ph?

Double check it, also, leave some tap water in a container over night and test it, see what that comes out as.
 
I've got some rocks in the tank (slate mostly, stuff I picked up from the lake district.
 
Dont think slate alters ph, but the only way to test is, leave some tap water over night without slate in it and another container with some slate in and test the next day.

Is this a recent rise in ph or just since you added the slate?

Im sure someone else will know more about this, my scientific knowledge is just about enough to fit on the back of a postage stamp!! LOL
 
I've not tested pH before (since the setup of my tank.)

I've got another tank without any slate, I'll do a test on that and see what the results are.
 
On my coldwater tank (no rocks of any variety) its 7.8.
 
Maybe the slate is altering it then :blink: Sorry not much more use to you on this one, Im a wealth of totally useless help today :fun:
 
Not my info, from PFK - Photosynthesis can also increase pH. If the tank gets lots of sunlight and contains loads of plants or algae, the pH can get very high in the day.
 
Ah, that could well do it then - the main tank is right next to a window (with blinds, so some light is cut out.)

Abit strange that my coldwater tank (which is in a reasonably well lit, but much more shaded area than my 65L) is still quite high.
I'll do some digging to see if theres a method of bringing the pH down and maintaining it at that level. Apparently for my Rams the pH should ideally be about 6.
 
Yeah ideally the ph should be lower from Rams, but mine are happy in my 7.6 ph, as are the rest of my south american fish, dont worry too much, as long as its stable, shouldnt cause any major problems, although I believe, but could be wrong, they wont breed in that ph.
 
The two I've got both appear to be blokes, so they'll have to adopt instead :D
 
The two I've got both appear to be blokes, so they'll have to adopt instead :D
:lol:
Perhaps your rams could come to an arrangement with an all-girl tank... :shifty:

Your profile says you're in Herts - is your water supplied by Three Valleys? According to published data, the pH varies across the TVW region (between 6.9 and 7.8 in 2007) - the water supplier can re-route water sometimes, temporarily or permanently, so it might be that yours has changed since you last filled the tank? Apart from the slate, do you have anything else in the tank, like sand or coral, which could be affecting it? I'd agree that it might be useful to leave some overnight before testing as suggested above, with and without rocks.

If you haven't already, you might also want to check your tapwater for nitrite, as some areas covered by this zone contain small amounts - not a significant problem in itself but could be enough to worry you if you're trying to diagnose a problem sometime in the future, so useful to get a baseline now.
 
Cheers. Yeah its 3 valleys and I've ruled out the slate/slate looking rock (not all the rocks are slate.) I suspect the fact that my tank is right next to a window is part of it, if the statement above about photosynthesis is accurate. I'm pretty sure they haven't been doing any mains renewal work around the area, I used to be in the trade (worked for a couple of UK water companies, on the fresh and foul water sides) so I keep my eyes open for major work.

Will test out nitrites later, although I'm a little confused as my nitrates are showing at 0. I did a 30% water change a couple of days ago but it seems a bit strange for it to be showing 0 nitrates, isn't it? Or have I got my water chemistry #### about face?

I'm tempted to take a sample into my LFS, get them to test it to see if perhaps I've got a dodgy test kit.
 
What test kit you using? 0 Nitrates is strange, unless its a heavily planted tank, which if I remember correctly it isnt?

Have you tested the nitrates out the tap? If your using the API liquid test kit, it can be hard to get the nitrate test correct unless you follow the instructions to the letter. Try the LFS see what they come up with, always good to get a second opinion.
 
Its the API kit and I've done 3 tests now - the first one, then two more side by side. I've just seen another post elsewhere that says it unusual but not unheard of. And looking at the colour card, its ever so slightly darker than 0 but well less than 5.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top