Ph High What Could Cause It?

farmernic

New Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My PH is above 8.0 what could be causing it?? My amoniam, nitrate, nitrite is fine. Tap water is 7.0-7.4
2 water changes so far and not much change.

What could cuase Ph to go up? It has killed several fish so far.
I plan on doing 1/3 water change every 2 days. Is this good or do I need to do something else?

Thanks
 
Do you use co2.
Any limestone or coral in your tank?
 
No I am not adding CO2 and no limstone. I have a log in there and some plants and a few rocks but they have been in there for years.
 
No I am not adding CO2 and no limstone. I have a log in there and some plants and a few rocks but they have been in there for years.

Im probabley not the right person to anwser this question, but i heard a someplace that certen kinds of logs (not sure what kinds) can cause pH Issues.

Also, certen rocks can probabley cause it too, depending on where you got the rocks from...
If you put rocks in your aquarium from outside somewhere (ie. did not purchase them from a LFS), then it could be the rock.
 
take the rocks out and apply a few drops of an acid such as vinegar to each one and see it there's fizzing. if there is, then the rocks may have been slowly dissolving and increasing the pH.
 
The rock could be causing, but if Calaeno's test finds its not the rock, then you can always apply a Ph buffer into the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top