I added a piece of dwiftwood more than a week ago that I think added to the creation of a bacteria bloom. That cleared in less than a week (regular water changes and extra cleaning of plant debri and elimination of a number of messy plants)
A number of weeks ago I removed a number of fish. I went from about 25 small fish to the 10 listed below. I hope to add some discuss (perhaps also cutting down the number of other fish) thus I hav been getting the temp up from about 80 to 83.
After the bacteria bloom cleared mentioned above, and the driftwood mentioned above was removed I started to see my pH drop from what had been a pretty steady 6.8-7 to low 6's. I did some 50 water changes and it went back up closer to 6.8. Last might I did another water change about 50%. Tonight the pH is back to 6. Could one small piece of driftwood be causing this?
The water looks just a touch milky, but still fairly clear. No where near as milkly as the bacteria bloom I mention above. The last 48 hours the tank has had an odor. I guess a stinky pond smell. Do I have too much good bacteria? I have not been overfeeding. The tank is clean. I have been doing daily large water changes for the past 3-4 days.
My tap water is 6.8-7. I empty old water then add conditioner directly to the tank, then add fresh water directly from the tap at nearly the correct temp. Water temp is about 83F.
What is causing the odor? What might be causing the pH drop? What should be my next steps?
55 gallon tank
3 cory cats
1 swordtail
6 dwarf gourami
cycled tank, good water stats other than pH mentioned above
small amount of plants
1 plant inside a piece of dark driftwood that has been there quite a while
eheim canister
one large internal sponge filter
A number of weeks ago I removed a number of fish. I went from about 25 small fish to the 10 listed below. I hope to add some discuss (perhaps also cutting down the number of other fish) thus I hav been getting the temp up from about 80 to 83.
After the bacteria bloom cleared mentioned above, and the driftwood mentioned above was removed I started to see my pH drop from what had been a pretty steady 6.8-7 to low 6's. I did some 50 water changes and it went back up closer to 6.8. Last might I did another water change about 50%. Tonight the pH is back to 6. Could one small piece of driftwood be causing this?
The water looks just a touch milky, but still fairly clear. No where near as milkly as the bacteria bloom I mention above. The last 48 hours the tank has had an odor. I guess a stinky pond smell. Do I have too much good bacteria? I have not been overfeeding. The tank is clean. I have been doing daily large water changes for the past 3-4 days.
My tap water is 6.8-7. I empty old water then add conditioner directly to the tank, then add fresh water directly from the tap at nearly the correct temp. Water temp is about 83F.
What is causing the odor? What might be causing the pH drop? What should be my next steps?
55 gallon tank
3 cory cats
1 swordtail
6 dwarf gourami
cycled tank, good water stats other than pH mentioned above
small amount of plants
1 plant inside a piece of dark driftwood that has been there quite a while
eheim canister
one large internal sponge filter







