PH Down ⬇️

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BabyGuppie

Reaction score
Fish are doing swimmingly. have guppies In 20 gal tank. I use tap water. I think my ph is like 8.2 or something. I don't have anything to really fix my problem at the moment such as shells or drift wood. I'm thinking about using API PH down. (API pH DOWN Freshwater Aquarium Water pH Reducing Solution 4-Ounce Bottle https://a.co/d/htDDfzC) But before taking this possibly temporary route what are the risks other then adjusting the fish too fast. From my understanding when you add something to the water you are also playing with the waters balances. Essentially playing god can be risky.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The chemical products that say they adjust pH very rarely do because pH is linked to the GH and KH, and you must consider all three if changes are intended. They usually are not needed, as here. Guppies are livebearers, and these fish prefer harder water with a basic (above 7) pH, so you are certainly OK with your pH.

The substances in the adjusting chemicals do negatively affect fish. And, unless the GH and KH are dealt with, fluctuating pH is usually the result. It depends upon the initial GH and KH of the source water.

Recommended range for guppies is 7.0 - 8.5 according to SF. You don't have "a problem to fix" ...

That's excellent guppy water. Products to lower pH are just acids that you add. Most of the time, the minerals in hard, alkaline water neutralize them. I tried an empty tank experiment a couple of times where I used phosphoric acid to drop the pH of my 7.4 tapwater at the time. It dropped very low, then bounced right back up to 7.4.

You don't ever want to do that to your fish, especially hardwater species that love a high pH....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back