Ph Adjustment?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquamike

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have well water which reads about 6.4 acidic. I was told from a lfs to just add a tablespoon of baking soda to my 135 gallon tank and that should make the ph nuetral. Does this sound right? :crazy:

Thanks,
Mike

Yes adding Bicarbonate of Soda (not baking soda) will make your water more alkaline but just saying a teaspoon is open to question. If you wish to increase the pH then do it slowly and dont just dunk a teaspoon of bicarb into the tank, especially if there are already fish in it. I wouldn't bother changing the pH to 7 from 6.4 if your fish are fine and showing no signs of disease or stress.
Regards
BigC

Yes adding Bicarbonate of Soda (not baking soda) will make your water more alkaline but just saying a teaspoon is open to question. If you wish to increase the pH then do it slowly and dont just dunk a teaspoon of bicarb into the tank, especially if there are already fish in it. I wouldn't bother changing the pH to 7 from 6.4 if your fish are fine and showing no signs of disease or stress.
Regards
BigC

Your response is interesting because I was told to use Arm and Hammer baking soda. I'm glad i asked. I think i will leave this water alone and just try to slowly introduce fish to this 6.4 ph.

Thanks,
Mike

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back