Pfeffer's Flamboyant Cuttlefish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would think a species only tank would be the only way to go. These things are tiny, and would be eaten by many a fish or invert. I think you would ave trouble sourcing them. They arnt available here that ive ever seen, and im not sure on the protected status. Cool litle creature though. You might be interested in tracking down the documentary Cuttlefish: The Brainy Bunch from ABC here in Australia, great photoraphy and an all round great doco, with a segment on the small critter. :good:

I would think a species only tank would be the only way to go. These things are tiny, and would be eaten by many a fish or invert. I think you would ave trouble sourcing them. They arnt available here that ive ever seen, and im not sure on the protected status. Cool litle creature though. You might be interested in tracking down the documentary Cuttlefish: The Brainy Bunch from ABC here in Australia, great photoraphy and an all round great doco, with a segment on the small critter. :good:

I have seen that program, that is actually why I brought this subject up. The photography and animals in that documentary were amazing and beautiful. I would recommend that everyone interested in cephalopods, or just marine life in general to watch it.

Anyways, if I recall correctly, I doubt that many fish or invertabrates in an aquarium with the animal would eat it, seeing as how its skin is as poisonous as a Blue-ringed Octopus' bite. That's why I would think it would be beneficial in a reef tank, as its colours are so vivid, and it is small, so it wouldn't require the substancially large aquarium that a common cuttlefish requires.

Joel.

I would think a species tank too, but not for the reason of it being eaten/picked at...more thinking that if it died (cuttlefish are all quite short-lived and fall apart pretty fast when dead), the result could be a pretty badly nuked tank given that the toxins are in the skin.

Sorry for the length it took me to respond.

Anyway, I was just doing some quick research on the subject of these cuttlefish. I converted their common maximum length (8cm) into inches (3 inches), with this knowledge I realize that a Flamboyant Cuttlefish would very easily be able to be housed in a small aquarium, generally comparing them to more commonly available species of cuttlefish (Sepia officinalis), my reference which is Liveaquaria.net; I knoiw this is not the most refuttable information available, but I trust them. Regardless, the information provided says that their cuttlefish should be kept in a 70 gallon aquarium or larger, and can grow to a maximum size of 1'4", so generally comapring I would figure that a Flamboyant cuttlefish would be able to be kept in a minumum tank of 20 gallons.

Now the point of their flesh being too toxic for a reef tank, due to the fact of expiration. As far as I'm aware the poisons do not diffuse into the surrounding water at the moment of death or afterwards, albeit, after I finish this post, I will be looking to emailing a marine biologist knowledgable with cuttlefish.

Joel.

So i've received the first reply to the e-mail I have sent out. Here is my original message sent to them:

>>Subject: Pfeffer's Flamoboyant Cuttlefish.
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have contacted you all on behalf of myself and my fellow
>>colleagues. You
>>see we are researching the pro's and con's of keeping a Flamboyant
>>cuttlefish in an aquarium setting.
>>
>>We were curious as to if, due to the extreme toxicity of their
>>skin, would
>>it be possible to house them, without having a fully established
>>reef tank
>>being utterly poisoned by the expiration. What i'm trying to say
>>is, do the
>>toxins diffuse out of the cuttlefishes skin when it dies?
>>
>>The other question we were wondering is the type of setting that
>>would be
>>recommended, such as; fully established reef aquariums with
>>invertabrates,
>>fish, coral, and live rock, or one specimen display tanks.
>>
>>Thank you very much for your time and information,
>>Joel VanDerMeulen

The reply I have recieved is as follows:

>Joel, mark norman has discovered the toxin and can answer that part
>of the question.
>
>As for setting, we did 2 field studies of the flamboyant (not yet
>published) and they are found on open mud/sand plains adjacent to
>(but not ON) coral reefs, so it would be ecologically incorrect to
>put them in a coral environment. Be forewarned: these animals
>SELDOM show the bright yellow/red Pattern ... they are 99% of the
>time in highly camouflaged pattern .. you have to disturb them
>greatly to see the so-called "Flamboyant" pattern. the only time
>they show it often is when small males follow females and they use
>the wild flamboyant pattern to gain the attention of the females.
>This you are most unlikely to see in a lab setting, spectacular as
>it is!
>
>Hope this helps. Roger Hanlon

Well this lclears alot of questions up, now I just have to wait for Mark Norman's reply. Also for anyone wondering, the people I contacted were the Marine Biologists working on The Nove Cuttlefish special.

Joel.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back