Pet Of The Month Competition Entries...... (December)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got black widows in my back yard. Ugh gives me the chills just thinking about them.

Thankfully I haven't seen any red backs around for ages but then I haven't been looking for them either.

Yep similar to black widows and just as nasty

I had a camping encounter with a black widow nest right next to my face while sleeping. It was like a week long event I decided to do with my buddies and these tents were like presetup and had no zippers just flaps. Didn't figure out it was there until we started seeing more spiders around the tent and realized there was a nest in the corner and one of the spiders was a black widow. We left a few days early. Left to go there Sunday left Wednesday morning instead of Sunday night the following week. Luckily no bites. Whew. :) near death experience for us there. :-(

Talking of spiders reminds me of one in particular

When I was serving out in Afghanistan we had something we feared more than anything. The Camel Spider. Only time you saw a marine run with fear. they are really aggressive to so would chase and attack you. it became routine to check your boots and kit before you went to bed or got up. never seen a spider so big and never seen a big grown soldier so scared lol (including me!)

I believe Black Widows and Redbacks are variations of the same species. Someone recently emailled me a pic of a redback eating a SNAKE that it caught in its web. The bottom of the email said "Come To Australia, where our spiders eat our snakes" LOLOLOL!!
We have Mouse Spiders that not only look like spawn of hell but are pretty toxic too. And white-tailed spiders, with their venom that rots your flesh and keeps rotting it til your limb falls off. Funnel Webs *shudder* - evil-looking buggers :crazy: some nasty nasty centipedes too. I got chased by one that was nearly a metre long. It was a mustardy-baby-#105### yellow color. Probably still unknown to science. While centipedes and spiders make me want to napalm the area, scorpions don't bother me that much. I rather like them, for some reason.
Go figure :blink:

I believe Black Widows and Redbacks are variations of the same species. Someone recently emailled me a pic of a redback eating a SNAKE that it caught in its web. The bottom of the email said "Come To Australia, where our spiders eat our snakes" LOLOLOL!!
We have Mouse Spiders that not only look like spawn of hell but are pretty toxic too. And white-tailed spiders, with their venom that rots your flesh and keeps rotting it til your limb falls off. Funnel Webs *shudder* - evil-looking buggers :crazy: some nasty nasty centipedes too. I got chased by one that was nearly a metre long. It was a mustardy-baby-#105### yellow color. Probably still unknown to science. While centipedes and spiders make me want to napalm the area, scorpions don't bother me that much. I rather like them, for some reason.
Go figure :blink:

Only napalm, surely a nice little nuke would do just fine :lol: , and then you can have mutant spiders and centipedes to deal with :lol:

When I was serving out in Afghanistan we had something we feared more than anything. The Camel Spider. Only time you saw a marine run with fear. they are really aggressive to so would chase and attack you. it became routine to check your boots and kit before you went to bed or got up. never seen a spider so big and never seen a big grown soldier so scared lol (including me!)

I beleive the reason they chase people is because they dont like being in direct sunlight, so they try and get into a shaded area as quick as possible and if you are creating a shaded area with your body they will try and get in it, in turn you think they are trying to attack you when all they want to do is get out of the direct sunlight. So you run away and they chase after you :good:

This is what I have been told anyway, could be bu**sh** but sounds feasable.

camel spiders are extremely aggressive. some of the lads got some really nasty bites that turned your stomach

this spoof video was made by some US soldiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5j6IuHGxA

I beleive the reason they chase people is because they dont like being in direct sunlight, so they try and get into a shaded area as quick as possible and if you are creating a shaded area with your body they will try and get in it, in turn you think they are trying to attack you when all they want to do is get out of the direct sunlight. So you run away and they chase after you :good:

This is what I have been told anyway, could be bu**sh** but sounds feasable.

That is pretty true about them just looking for a shade/ shelter, but as a kid with a monster centepede running after you (this happened to me in the Northen Territory back when that part of Arnhem Land was still only being really colonised by white people), all thoughts of the poor centepede is just scared go clean out of your mind. It tends to make a lasting impression ( I would have been around 4/5) when your father has to come racing out of the house and kill the centepede with a shovel :crazy: . I don't freak out about them now but I don't go picking them up either, and if I come across them while working I just choff them off into another part of the garden I am working in, mind you the ones around this part of Australia are little trackers compared to the freakishly large monsters in the N.T. Spiders I can live with (as my house can testify to it seems to be some type of undeclared Daddy Longlegs haven), but any red backs I come across get fried as well as the black window spiders that are a type of funnel web and actually like making thier nests inside houses in the window surrounds. But then I will happily go and play with frogs and toads (even canetoads they don't phase me) and have caught in the past (and probably will again) venomous snakes but I try to only handle the nonvenomous.

This is before and after pics of our family dog Kattie. She does a pretty good balancing act on the above ground pool. One day I might find her sitting on the fence the same way.

img_2331.jpg

img_2332.jpg
img_2334.jpg

TADDDDAAA! :clap:

This is before and after pics of our family dog Kattie. She does a pretty good balancing act on the above ground pool. One day I might find her sitting on the fence the same way.

img_2331.jpg

img_2332.jpg
img_2334.jpg

TADDDDAAA! :clap:

OOOOOOPPPPPSSS! did it twice.

katie has got to have staffy in her heritage some where, she must be a barrel of fun to have around, even if the cat doesn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back