Persistent Cloudy Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Trod673

Reaction score
I set up a 29 gallon with 2 black moor goldfish. I cycled the tank first, took about a 7 weeks, with some established media, and after a week or so of putting them in there the water was a little cloudy. I added carbon to my filter, and left it in there for about a week. The water was crystal clear (just like my other fish tank, a 55 gallon, both set up around the same time) Anyway, I took the carbon filter out, and the next day I could barely see into the tank. I tested the water, no ammonia, no nitrites, normal nitrates (15ppm or so.) I did a 20% water change. I put another carbon filter in with no improvement. I used tetra water clarifier, that helped a little. It's been about 2 weeks now, the water is still really cloudy, better, but quite bad still, all tests have come back fine over the two weeks, and the fish seem okay. 

My question is, is it possible to move the fish to a 5 gallon bucket, filled with their current tank water, do a 95% water change, make sure the temperature gets back to normal, and the other water qualities are the same, and then replace them in the tank? 

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  

Thank you! 

It sounds like a bacterial bloom, if you were to put the fish into a bucket make sure it is filtered with an air supply, ammonia can build quickly in small areas and may well kill your fish :'(
The bacteria should die down in time, large regular water changes should help, remember to feed the good bacteria in your filters with ammonia if you do remove the fish otherwise it will all die and you will have to cycle again.

I just don't understand while it's still cloudy.. It's been 2 weeks, everywhere I've looked said it should've died down. 

Scratching the idea about moving the fish, I don't want to risk it. 

im going threw the same exact thing.  I just bought some stuff. called acurel f.  its supposed to solve this.  so far i did a 60 percent water change and put a new filter

ill keep you posted on what happens

I used API's Accu-Clear and added another filter to my tank and the water cleared up to crystal clear! 

How often are you changing your filter pads? that may be your issue. Try not to for as long as 4 months to see if there's an improvement. That's where your nitrifying bacteria colonizes so it really shouldn't be taken out or replaced unless its falling apart. All it needs is a good shaking in dechlorinated water to unclog.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back