Penny trick

nitro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ive heard some people put pennys in their filter to kill snails.

Do i need to put the pennys before the year 92 in my tank that are 75% copper in or pennys after 92 which are only alloys or copper plated or something?

Youre right about the copper mix having changed (although I wouldn't have none when it was) but I would be careful of putting things in like that that will leach into the water............

Some fish and inverts only need a "pretty low" level of copper to kill them. I'd try other, safer methods of removing unwanted snails before I decided to toss pennies into my filter.

\Dan

Some fish and inverts only need a "pretty low" level of copper to kill them. I'd try other, safer methods of removing unwanted snails before I decided to toss pennies into my filter.

Ive tried picking them them out but there are too many now.

I dont want to add a bottle of chemicals to kill them either.

Because not many people have 5-6ft tanks to keep them.

Im will be re doing my whole tank and i want to get rid of snails so i can use the gravel for bacteria.

^^^^thats why i want to get rid of them.

Ive tried that but it doesnt work for me.

Every morning in my tank I find a gigantic pile of snails somewhere, approximately where I threw in the algae pellet the night before. Maybe this will work for you?
I don't quite understand why you said you did not want snails, I have countless amounts of them in my tanks, both got in there from plants, and I can't say they have harmed a fish yet. I keep them in the hospital tank too so they will eat and produce waste to keep the filter going when they are not in there. :)

Loaches or puffers. Alternately you can keep trying to bait them, or use chemicals. I don't know of any other solutions, really.

Most reactions

Back