Pearls in a 75

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

CockroachTheory

Reaction score
Iā€™m looking to keep a group of pearl gouramis as the centerpiece fish in a 75gallon community, with small rasboras and a couple smaller/not too boisterous barbs.
I am hoping to keep 3 males and 5 females.
Would this work out or should I consider 2 males and 6 females instead? I want good color and natural behavior, without aggression that would be considered cruel to the fish.
Thank you for your input.

One never can be certain when it comes to individual fish behaving according to or contrary to the norm for the species. But I would consider 3/5 worth doing. Make sure to add all 8 together, this goes a long way with even mildly territorial gourami.

I would not do barbs though, most are much too active. This tank is where the rasboras do well, perhaps Trigonostigma espei, or T. hengeli, in a good group of 15-20. Other rasboras worth considering too. Lots of floating plants necessary for both gourami and rasboras.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

One never can be certain when it comes to individual fish behaving according to or contrary to the norm for the species. But I would consider 3/5 worth doing. Make sure to add all 8 together, this goes a long way with even mildly territorial gourami.

I would not do barbs though, most are much too active. This tank is where the rasboras do well, perhaps Trigonostigma espei, or T. hengeli, in a good group of 15-20. Other rasboras worth considering too. Lots of floating plants necessary for both gourami and rasboras.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:
I plan to follow that advice, even introducing the gouramis last, as the largest fish in the aquarium.
Lots of articles about them living in groups of 6 or more, but just as many stating issues with aggressive pearls in a group setting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back