Pearl gourami - gills

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I decided to go for the pearl gourami (because honey were not available at the sellers), they are at home, in the quarantine. They act very funnily, but I am concerned about one of the gills.
It is a bit opened and it seems a bit more red than the others, but the fin is right next to the gill and I have never had the pearls and not sure if it is by any chance how they should supposed to look
Second question, I obtained 10 pygmy corydoras, they will live in the cube that is now a quarantine for the pearls. Will the gourami hurt the pygmies? I mean they shouldnt, but the pygmies are so small and the pearls a tad larger, I wanted to be able to tell male. I know I have one for sure, two others should be females, but with jouvenile gouami, one never knows.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG-0424.JPG
    IMG-0424.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0425.JPG
    IMG-0425.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-0427.JPG
    IMG-0427.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0429.JPG
    IMG-0429.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-0400.JPG
    IMG-0400.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-0403.JPG
    IMG-0403.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 13
Don’t worry about it. Just looks like a slightly shorter gill cover, so you can see part of the gills. Happens a lot with mass produced fish. The gill is a very healthy looking bright red.
Those are very sexable. That long dorsal is male, the short dorsals are females.

They’re quite a timid fish, and they don’t know this small tank is temporary. They look very healthy and they should settle well in a bigger tank with slow surface flow, shade available, and no one bothering them.

I doubt they’ll bother the Corys at all… especially when there’s more space.

Will the Corys live in the cube? Depends how big the cube is.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back