Peacock holding eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
the 1st batch are all doing great.. no losses. Who knows how many momma is holding now. Will wait a week before stripping them. 2nd pic are some of possible dads.have more that are not shown
I reiterate what I wrote in post #2. Do not strip eggs from females unless you absolutely have to. It is bad for the mother and the babies. If you want babies, move the female into a separate tank to have them.

Reactions: L&K
Update
momma holding eggs again. 2 days ago noticed she had mouth closed but still eating scrap flakes and yesterday she looked like this.View attachment 136592View attachment 136592 the 1st batch are all doing great.. no losses. Who knows how many momma is holding now. Will wait a week before stripping them. 2nd pic are some of possible dads.have more that are not shownView attachment 136592View attachment 136591

I'm sure she knows what she is doing, but I hope she can stay healthy! Since they do not eat much while mouthbrooding - I hope that she is getting enough nutrients in between batches!

Any updates on the fry?

I'm sure she knows what she is doing, but I hope she can stay healthy! Since they do not eat much while mouthbrooding - I hope that she is getting enough nutrients in between batches!

Any updates on the fry?
Thank you! We'll where do start. We ended up stripping but they had hatched. They are doing great and momma ate after we stripped her. Then..my son noticed our other OB peacock was holding eggs too. We were shocked ?. We ended up stripping those too. If they hatch fine if not it's ok. We have a total of over 200 estimating. We don't know what we are going to do with all those. Yea sell them for few bucks and maybe get credit at a local fish store. Pics will come tonight of the 1st batch and them the other 2 batches

Every time you strip eggs from the females, you stress the mother fish and stop the babies learning from their parents. The baby fish then have trouble being good parents. You need to stop stripping the eggs from the females. You aren't doing your fish any favors and are messing up the babies.

Every time you strip eggs from the females, you stress the mother fish and stop the babies learning from their parents. The baby fish then have trouble being good parents. You need to stop stripping the eggs from the females. You aren't doing your fish any favors and are messing up the babies.
I totally understand that. This time I had no choice. I dont have another tank to separate the mom's now due to the emergency tank is being used for the 1st batch and purchasing another tank right now is not going to happen. We have 5 tanks and all being used. If I left the parents in out 180g, they would have been eaten. we have a green terrior, frontosas,African cichlids, geos, blue dolphins. So..I appreciate the advice but we had to

20210522_060221.jpg
20210522_060155.jpg
20210521_160918.jpg
20210522_060210.jpg

31 eggs hatched. Which we are so ok. We have 63 from the 1ST batch. I'll take pic and post. Can't believe how big they are. Some have stipes some don't. The 1st batch, little color coming out. I see either red/orange and seen blue. Can't wait!

Wow! I forget how fast Mbuna esc. cichlids seem to grow as fry! I suppose in such a dynamic environment, size really helps.

My A. Cacatouides babies seem to be growing very slowly - and if I remember correctly, last time I bred them (wild caught versions) the same was true. Every species is a bit different!

Love the pics!

Wow! I forget how fast Mbuna esc. cichlids seem to grow as fry! I suppose in such a dynamic environment, size really helps.

My A. Cacatouides babies seem to be growing very slowly - and if I remember correctly, last time I bred them (wild caught versions) the same was true. Every species is a bit different!

Love the pics!
Aww I bet your babies are beautiful. We we even have baby geos. Redhead tapajos.

The cichlids are in a 10g (the bigger babies) and the little babies in 5g

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back