Peacock Gudgeon, What This Is Likely To Be?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My female PG has a white dot near her eye, any ideas what it is, she has had it for about five days now. Is it likely to be a white spot cyst?

The tank has always been a very healthy tank, although recently I lost another female who appeared to have a mark on her side, I isolated her, but she lost the fight after about four days.

I could treat, yet the tank has Amano Shrimp, Kuhlis and Otos, I believe in this instance you can half the treatment?

I hope to tomorrow to clean the filter and do a water change. Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

image.jpeg

Being such a large lump I am inclined to think its some sort of bacteria.
You could try isolating her in a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics or you could try treating in the tank she is in with something like Malafix. I have previously used Malafix with both khuli loaches and shrimp in the tank and not had any issues.
There is another product I have successfully used with shrimp, loaches and catfish but I am not sure if you would be able to get it in the UK.

Thanks Baccus, forgot to say there is also a fighter in there and Melafix is not safe for them. I would rather treat the whole tank to prevent any spread. Sadly, the female I caught took awhile to capture and I feel that maybe the stress of netting was not conducive to her recovery :(. I would hate to loose this female as they are a breeding pair.

I do have some Waterlife products, I will check which and list them here for options.

Thanks for your reply :)

These are my Waterlife treatments. I have used with some success in the past the Myzazin, which I believe is Malachite Green. However, I have read that this is toxic to loaches! I suppose I could do a bath of it, but then I am potentially back to stressing the fish!

Myxazin
A treatment for Ulcers, Fin-Rot, Body Rot and other bacterial related diseases in all aquaria.

Protozin
Treats Whitespot (Ich), Oodiniasis (Velvet), Costiasis, Trichodiniasis, Neon Tetra disease & Fungus.

Sterazin
Treats gill and body flukes which cause fish to flick and scrape. Other symptons include 'clubbed' gills , cloudy patches on fins/body, 'yawning' and lethargy. Also treats internal worms.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/tropical/d-0

I am currently thinking if I moved my fry I could treat the female in their tank, yet it comes back to the risk in stressing the fish/not treating the whole tank!

Thoughts?

An update...

I noted my fighter was not looking too good lying at the bottom of the tank. On checking the water, for some reason I had an ammonia spike! Therefore, I placed the fighter into an isolation chamber and cleaned the tank/the external filter. Prior to having the filter running again, I added Myaxzin to the tank for 15 mins keeping an eye on the occupants. I then removed the majority of the water prior to re-starting the filter. The following day, all was well again in the tank, yet at this stage the white dot on the female is still there, as obviously I need to treat consecutive days.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I carried out the above again. Since then I have spoken with the regional Mgr at my LFS, who is very knowledgeable. He told me that this is nothing to worry about. It is not contagious and sometimes they get bigger which will only be a problem if it grows over the eye or bursts, I advised I wanted to move the Gudgeons to my main tank, he felt that as there was no change etc., there would be no risk to the other fish. Any Thoughts?

Most reactions

trending

Back