Parrot Vs Pleco!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropical_Dave

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so Ive had my tank for 4 months or so, and the person i bought it from had it for a few months before me, apart from the 2 jewel cichlids i put in a separate tank all the fish have been living together happily for plenty of time, yet all of a sudden my parrot has decided he doesn't like my pleco. there's 2 in the tank and he's attacking the bigger one of the 2, why would he just decide all of a sudden he doesn't like him? any suggestions? and apart from removing one or the other does anyone have any suggestions on how to suppress the parrots aggression?

Maybe rearrange your tank?
My brothers parrots kill all the "algae eaters" (as he calls them) that they try and put in there with them.

I vote keep the pleco, though I'm a bit partial :) Always loved plecos! Generally I recommend getting removing the aggressor rather than the victim to prevent further problems anyway though. And I agree with Irhodes, rearrange the tank and then reintroduce them like its a new tank.

thanks for the help guys, its water change day today so I'll rearrange the tank at the same time :)

so its been a couple of weeks since i rearranged the tank, so far papa (short for papagaio lol) has laid off the pleco a fair bit, still gives him a lil nip when i feed them but mr plec is healing up fairly well, ive also been putting his food in a glass jar that he can fit in easily but the parrot  is too big to get in mwahaha so mr plec can have his dinner in peace.
i keep calling him mr plec but tbh could very well be mrs plec as i have no idea if its a boy or girl! lol :)

Glad you found something that's working! And the glass jar idea is brilliant!

lrhodes said:
Glad you found something that's working! And the glass jar idea is brilliant!
it was working for a while... but i got home from work today and Papa had killed Mr Plec :( and half eaten one of my platties :( so sadly i had to face the music and take him to my lfs.
but in his place i took home a shark catfish :) a much safer bet, i was sad to see Papa go but i couldnt let him kill every fish i put in with him.

Most reactions

trending

Back