Parrot Moved, Seeking Your Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snue

Reaction score
Severum bullying parrot so parrot moved to 30g. Parrot seems happier and comes to top to feed now, also attacks my hand during water changes and seems less shy and shows no interest in 30g occupants. Basically would like advice on having parrot in 30g and with these type of fish (beta, tetra), should I move parrot back to 100g, also any info on why severum may be bullying parrot and not others and if pleco should be removed from 100g tank. All fish in 100g fairly young (6-10cm) surinamensis (14cm). Filtration is fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

100g, green severum, oscar, convict, surinamensis, 4x silver dollar, 2x pleco
30g, blood parrot, male betta, 11x glowlight tetra.
14g, empty hospital.

I think the parrot alone would be ok in the 30g for quite some time but it will no doubt eventually see your glowlights are snacks and probably the betta too. I dont know about adding the pl*co. If it is a variety that stays small like a bristlenose then maybe.

I meant to say I added the bristlenose plecos to the larger tank, theyre the type that stay small, i might swap the blood parrot and the plecos around shortly because i just caught the blood parrot bullying my betta, i love the blood parrot though

I meant to say I added the bristlenose plecos to the larger tank, theyre the type that stay small, i might swap the blood parrot and the plecos around shortly because i just caught the blood parrot bullying my betta, i love the blood parrot though

How large is your BP? And how large is your Sev?

I had a BP in a 30 gallon for about 6 months.
The only other tank mates she ever had in with her was a yellow guarami, an angelfish, and at one point, 2 sunburst platy's.

It just depends on your BP as to if she will make your smaller fish snacks or not. My BP has never even attempted to eat any small fish that she has ever been with.
She shows no interest in them whatsoever, so I never worried about her picking off my platy's. She left them alone.

I currenty have my 5 inch BP in with a 7 inch Severum and they get along fine, except for the occassional chase/nip from the severum, but nothing serious.
No damage from either of them and my BP completely ignores him when he does so.

You could try rearranging your entire tank set-up: plants/decor/caves/rocks, etc, to make the fish think they are somewhere different, and it will break up any territories that any of the fish have established,
therefore possibly reducing aggression.

Most fish aren't really aggressive, just territorial.

Severum bullying parrot so parrot moved to 30g. Parrot seems happier and comes to top to feed now, also attacks my hand during water changes and seems less shy and shows no interest in 30g occupants. Basically would like advice on having parrot in 30g and with these type of fish (beta, tetra), should I move parrot back to 100g, also any info on why severum may be bullying parrot and not others and if pleco should be removed from 100g tank. All fish in 100g fairly young (6-10cm) surinamensis (14cm). Filtration is fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

100g, green severum, oscar, convict, surinamensis, 4x silver dollar, 2x pleco
30g, blood parrot, male betta, 11x glowlight tetra.
14g, empty hospital.

My BP does the same when I do water changes/move decor around :lol:
Also, I think your Bristlenose Plecos will be okay in the 100gal since they are bottom dwellers, shouldn't get bullied,
but the 30gal would be perfectly fine with them too, so it's your call.

I'm surprised your Sev is the one bullying the BP, I would've guess the Oscar to do that way before the Sev.
But hey, all fish have their differences!

If your Oscar is small now though, you may want to watch him and the BP very carefully. I've heard of Oscars and BP's not
getting along very well. Depends on your BP's temperament also. Some BP's are very frisky/rowdy while other are very calm and shy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back