Parrot Fish - What Size Tank Is Needed?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Synirr said:
My LFS has had some massive parrots in the past, so I have to say I agree with Dwarf_Dude... I would never put one in anything less than 55 gallons.
[snapback]876960[/snapback]​

55 Gallons?? So that would be about 189 litres? If he needs that size tank then his going to have to be rehomed:(

Oh well thanks for the info people.

Gem x

Maxim_Storm said:
wixx said:
ive never heard of an 8 inch parrot before. they do end up big, but i dont know about 8 inches. maybe 6 or 7.theyll be really round, like 5 maybe 6 from top to bottom, so a deep tank is good as well. good luck on your search ! :D
[snapback]876799[/snapback]​

Mmm the other two cichlids we had with him grew but only to about 5 inches I think and they were about 5 years old at a guess I could be wrong as they were my bf's not mine :/
[snapback]876807[/snapback]​

I've actually seen Parrots at 10" from snout to caudal fin tip. They get big. And about 7" tall. Its also a very fat fish. Big tank. I'm planning on getting 2 for my 55 but there wont be a whole lot else in there. Angels and rainbows and platys in small numbers to dither them out...

Ok the Angels are also show fish... but the platys and rainbows are dither :p...

Ok ok the rainbows are show fish too... whatever. they'll like it in there. you see where im going with this. :rofl:

I think your talking about King Kong Parrots, they can get to 14"+. As for the Blood Parrot I think a 55g for a min is good, but they will live fine in a 40g, any tank that is 3ft long will do really.

Most reactions

Back