Parasite?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Second day of eSHa treatment, still has the bump and a white speck at the base of the dorsal, still no signs of illness or stress in the pleco or other cories.

Any more ideas on what this might be? I guess it could potentially still have been an injury that developed a slow moving bacterial infection, that spread to the dorsal? Or is it more likely now that it's something I bought in with the new pleco? Does seem unlikely to be a coincidence that this developed a week after getting the pleco.

Sometimes fish from different sources have different bacteria, so introductions of other fish can trigger infections sometimes. In old or new fish. So while it may not be an "illness" the pleco brought in, it could have just been foreign bacteria introduced that this cory wasn't used to

Sometimes fish from different sources have different bacteria, so introductions of other fish can trigger infections sometimes. In old or new fish. So while it may not be an "illness" the pleco brought in, it could have just been foreign bacteria introduced that this cory wasn't used to
Thank you!

I'm glad it doesn't appear to have spread to any others yet, and that he otherwise appears fine. Swimming about and eating normally, so hopefully it'll heal up soon and they can all go to the bigger tank with the four waiting for them there!

I had something going on like this on my corys & i started a recent thread ColinT advised the salt medication which i am using and the fish in question seems a lot better now after a week. So im going to follow this. Let me know what happends

This is my thread just for your infomation

It's not a bacterial infection. They go red and spread quickly. And minor bacterial infections can usually be treated with salt.

Post updated pictures.

Grabbed these pics tonight, not the best pics, but best I could get in a hurry!
DSCF6314.JPG
DSCF6317.JPG
DSCF6319.JPG

Not super clear, but you can see the white bump is still there, and that there's now a white speck on his dorsal. Hoping to see an improvement soon with the eSHa 2000 soon

It's not a bacterial infection. They go red and spread quickly. And minor bacterial infections can usually be treated with salt.

Post updated pictures.
Just posted some new pics, not terribly clear, sorry! I'll keep trying to get clearer pics. Cories don't always make that easy!

It isn't fluffy like a fungal infection either though... viral?

I had something going on like this on my corys & i started a recent thread ColinT advised the salt medication which i am using and the fish in question seems a lot better now after a week. So im going to follow this. Let me know what happends
Man, sorry you're going through it too! Will have a look at your thread and follow your progress too! Thank you for letting me know :)

Thanks, Its a pain in the a##.
I have a few notes that i do when i add fish and meds.
My notes seem to add upto a pair of bronze i bought around November then 1 of newly added fish just wouldnt eat then died a few days later. Ever since then i have been chasing something that seem to go on for ever. My pal had some guppys that had worms but they had been in my tank so i treated for that, I had ich of maybe the problem fish too? Who knows but now it all seems to add up when these pair of bronze were added. Although 1 of thwm is still here & is active with the others when they are out

Not all bacterial is red and spreading either though.

Bacteria manifest themselves differently.

Update: Lumpy cory is on the mend at last!

Have been doing an extended treatment of the eSHa 2000. Took a while for the bumps to begin shrinking and had me worried, but @CassCats reminded me that catfish are armoured, and can be slower to heal as a result. But I had to really hunt for the one that had the bumps today, she blended in so well with the others, it took me a while to find which one had been the one with bumps! :)

Either the eSHa worked, or it was going to heal on its own anyway. Or perhaps even the tannins, since I kept adding tannins too. Whatever it was, and whatever fixed it, glad that it hasn't spread and that she's on the mend at last.

Great news, I should of sent my corys to you for care ?
Mate, I'm really not all that great! Have had huge problems with my dad's tank since he unplugged the filter and have lost a hell of a lot of fish from that one, despite sorting the filtration and lots of water changes. About ready to give up on that one. And found out my guppies in another tank might have fin rot now too...

I'm really sorry about your cories :( It clearly wasn't from a lack of care on your end though, sounds like you went through hell and back with that tank trying to save them.

Most reactions

Back