Parasite?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Just spotted this white lump on a cory, tank has been healthy and established for months (the four adult bronzes spawned in there), suspect the new starlight pleco or some transfer from the store water on the bag introduced this problem. It's not at all fuzzy the way a fungus would be, just a white lump that sticks out, I think there might be a dark dot inside the while lump too. Perhaps some kind of parasite? Want to get a solid idea of what it is before attempting treatment, especially since it's cories and a pleco in here, with them being extra sensitive to meds. @Colin_T , would deeply appreciate your thoughts especially!

Tank size: 48 litre/12.5 US gallons
tank age: 7-8 months?
pH: 7,2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10-20
kH: I forget
gH: 253ppm
tank temp: 76

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): White lump just behind gill on one side of one cory. While taking pics, noticed a different cory flashing a bit.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 60-75% twice a week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Just water conditioner, Prime

Tank inhabitants: Four adult bronze cories, seven young bronzes, new starlight pleco baby

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): The starlight pleco, added 23rd Feb

Exposure to chemicals: None

Digital photo (include if possible):
DSCF5930.JPG
DSCF5929.JPG
DSCF5923.JPG
DSCF5921.JPG
DSCF5911.JPG
DSCF5910.JPG
DSCF5908.JPG

DSCF5902.JPG
DSCF5899.JPG
DSCF5892.JPG
DSCF5885.JPG
DSCF5881.JPG

maybe fungus or heater burn or wound

Wow that almost looks like its glowing in the dark!
7th picture shows that it is raised, almost cyst like? I haven't come across it before bud and hope someone here has. Is he flashing himself on the substrate at all?

maybe fungus or heater burn or wound

Thanks for the thoughts! Not a fungus, it's not fuzzy the way fungal infections are, and doesn't look like a heater burn either. Would be an unlikely spot for it to happen, and doesn't look like a burn either. More like a cyst
Wow that almost looks like its glowing in the dark!
7th picture shows that it is raised, almost cyst like? I haven't come across it before bud and hope someone here has. Is he flashing himself on the substrate at all?

Just found this from googling and our Byron is in the thread ?
I'll check out that thread now, thank you! Yes, it's definitely raised, and you're right, it's pretty bright! I haven't come across it before either. This one hasn't been flashing that I've seen, but I have seen one of the others flashing a bit while I was taking photos.

Maybe it is a random thing like a cyst, and it's just a coincidence, but since this has appeared not long after I added the starlight pleco to this tank, has me paranoid that I've introduced something nasty to the tank!

what does "unwell" mean? like sick?
Very sick. He's a beloved member of the forum, and valued contributor to the hobby as well. People here are very attached to him, so him being so sick is a sensitive topic.

one of my mosquitofish had that i was scared to treat it i thought it would spread to humans
Fish TB can spread to humans...

One of the reasons it's very important to wash your hands thoroughly before and after doing anything with your tanks!

I'm reading up on illnesses like fish TB and freaking myself out.
Seems to be if no one can figure out the cause they say fish TB.
I had Colombian tetra where they developed bent spines and black patches. I recall the internet pointing towards fish TB where years later, many more accounts of colombian tetra with these symptoms surfaced and now many simply refer to it as colombian tetra disease.

Seems to be if no one can figure out the cause they say fish TB.
I had Colombian tetra where they developed bent spines and black patches. I recall the internet pointing towards fish TB where years later, many more accounts of colombian tetra with these symptoms surfaced and now many simply refer to it as colombian tetra disease.
I'm trying not to panic, and be sensible while I look for a potential cause. Fish doesn't seem distressed or to be struggling at all, so I have time to figure it out, hopefully.

Kinda annoyed with myself that I didn't move the cories out before putting the pleco in for QT. On the other hand, the starlight pleco hides so much, I doubt I'd have seen anything on him, so if he has spread some illness to the cories, at least I can see it now? Eh. Trying to see a silver lining.

I haven't been strict about sharing buckets and equipment between tanks either, so if this one needs treating for something, they all will.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back