BLACK DOG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
parakeet's in our back garden

Attachments

• 5479110414_8bb596d202_b.jpg
    5479110414_8bb596d202_b.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 131
Look like a couple of escaped ring neck parrots.

a flock of these has turned up around my office recently.

There's an urban tale that these were first imported by a member of The Who, and he accidentally released them into the wild......where they have done very well for themselves over the years.

I've some friends near Heathrow who've been getting them on their garden feeders for about 7-8 years now. I don't remember who released them and whether or not it was intentional, but I'm sure they said it was local to them... I'll find out. They're beautiful birds :nod:

If they turned up at my bird feeder I would be catching them - Australia has enough feral critters already without more clutering up the landscape. Usually around here if you see a ring neck (or any none native and a few native birds) loose you quickly come across lost posters begging for the return of their pet.
So far my feeder is only attracting short billed corellas (native), galahs (native), sulpher crested cockatoos (native), peaceful doves (native) crested pigeons (native), peewees (native), double bar finches (native), chestnut breasted manninkin (native), and red wing parrots (native) and the scurge of pests sparrows (none native) and turtle doves (none native).

The local tale is that they escaped from the Shepperton film studios the studio is only a short distance from us they escaped during filming of a "Bond" film about ten years ago someone opened the studio big doors and they got out, we have a flock of about 20 that fly across most days from one park to the other.

If they turned up at my bird feeder I would be catching them - Australia has enough feral critters already without more clutering up the landscape. Usually around here if you see a ring neck (or any none native and a few native birds) loose you quickly come across lost posters begging for the return of their pet.
So far my feeder is only attracting short billed corellas (native), galahs (native), sulpher crested cockatoos (native), peaceful doves (native) crested pigeons (native), peewees (native), double bar finches (native), chestnut breasted manninkin (native), and red wing parrots (native) and the scurge of pests sparrows (none native) and turtle doves (none native).
You had better package up some of the "Pest" sparrows and ship them to the Uk we are getting short of them they must all be emigrating!!!

You had better package up some of the "Pest" sparrows and ship them to the Uk we are getting short of them they must all be emigrating!!!

I had heard the sparrow population in the UK was in decline (is it just the house sparrow or also the tree sparrow?). Not sure about the legalilities of sending a none native bird out of Australia, but I am sure nobody would want to shoulder the cost of such an exercise, otherwise I would gladly box them up and send them home, starlings included and I am sure people in southern climes of Australia would dearly love to be rid of black birds as well.

I had heard the sparrow population in the UK was in decline (is it just the house sparrow or also the tree sparrow?). Not sure about the legalilities of sending a none native bird out of Australia, but I am sure nobody would want to shoulder the cost of such an exercise, otherwise I would gladly box them up and send them home, starlings included and I am sure people in southern climes of Australia would dearly love to be rid of black birds as well.

Did you know that in the mid-1800's, some well-read but STILL STUPID person, thought it would be a good idea to import all the birds into Australia that are mentioned in Shakespeare's works. Which is why we have sparrows, larks, blackbirds and such. 1 more thing Shakespeare has to answer for......
And we have rabbits because someone thought a couple of them hopping about the home paddock would make the place seem more "homely" and imported 6 of the buggers. :crazy:

A person I know has a plum headed parrot visiting her bird feeder, this bird is definantly an aviary escapee and will not survive long in the wild as it was I watched a Harrier chasing it for a snack. But try as I might I could not convince the person that the bird would be better of being recaptured and possibly returned to its rightful owner. Especailly since plum headed parrots are not cheap.

And a side from feral sparrows, starlings, black birds, foxes, cats, pigs, water buffalos, European green finches, Indian mynas, Goldfinches and Red Bishops we also have feral populations of California Quail, golden pheasants, mute swans, peacocks, guinea fowl, jungle fowl, chukar partridges, common turkeys, feral pigeons, spotted turtle doves, laughing turtle doves, red whiskered bulbul, song thrushes, ostriches, camels and you don't want to start me on the feral fish species we now have as well. All because apparently Australia didn't have enough interesting fauna and to top it all of we have almost every convicable plant now making inroads into our bushland.

So you see when an Australian says capture and or destroy a none native species we say it not to be mean or cruel to the thing in question but because we have seen the damage done first hand by the uncountable numbers of introduced species.

Most reactions

Back