paradise fish project

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! I finally completed my first pond project, the Wild Guppy Stream.

I have one half-barrel left, and i want to make a paradise gourami scape.
what other fish can I put in the pond along with the paradise gouramis? do you guys have any tips on raising them? how large of a group do I need?

conditions: 22 gallon (or more)
sand substrate, heavily planted, tropical weather.

Are you talking about Macropodus opercularis?

They’re not much different from the bettas. They flare at their own reflection in the mirror, so there should only be one male in the tank – unless it’s very large tank where they don’t see each other.

You can have a female if you intent to breed them, otherwise it’s best not to – it’s the same as the bettas.

If you keep them with other fish you’ll find that they seem to be happy together, until the paradise takes a strike at other fish. They then swim together again like nothing happened, but that behaviour repeats – that’s what I observe. But again, if your tank is quite large you may be OK (22G is small for that purpose).

If I were to breed them, it’d be the same as I’d breed the bettas.

Are you talking about Macropodus opercularis?

They’re not much different from the bettas. They flare at their own reflection in the mirror, so there should only be one male in the tank – unless it’s very large tank where they don’t see each other.

You can have a female if you intent to breed them, otherwise it’s best not to – it’s the same as the bettas.

If you keep them with other fish you’ll find that they seem to be happy together, until the paradise takes a strike at other fish. They then swim together again like nothing happened, but that behaviour repeats – that’s what I observe. But again, if your tank is quite large you may be OK (22G is small for that purpose).

If I were to breed them, it’d be the same as I’d breed the bettas.
thanks for the info

i see, I don't have enough containers to breed them.

I think I better stay with just honey gouramis instead.

Most reactions

Back