Paradise gourami tankmates?

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Dec 3, 2020
Messages
7,386
Reaction score
3,370
Points
113
Location
United States
Hello! I have a super heavily planted pond (27g) with a pair of paradise fish, and I was wondering if anything else could go along with them?

Any snails or smaller fish that will be able to handle them?

Originally had mosquitofish in there but their population went down after I added those territorial gouramis
 
I have one Paradise fish in a community 29 gallon tank with 9 dwarf red coral platy, colony of endlers and a trio of x. doidrioi. All is well. The Xenotoca are not nipping at the Paradise fish (yet).
 
Curious. I had them after they bred outdoors, with platys and had no issues.
 
I kept two albino paradise gouramis with multiple cichlids; If I were you, I'd try festivums, but I'm aware that they grow too large for the pond in the long run. Maybe you could try some apistogrammas? I've never kept them before and don't know too much about their temperament, but it may work with research...?

Another possibility is branching out into other types of livebearers: Platys, medium sized Swordtails, etc.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sure you know better than me, and my suggestions fully depend on if the pond is heated or not. Good luck!
 
I have one Paradise fish in a community 29 gallon tank with 9 dwarf red coral platy, colony of endlers and a trio of x. doidrioi. All is well. The Xenotoca are not nipping at the Paradise fish (yet).
that sounds good! I'll see if platies work, they are cheap and i have other ones so i have a failsafe. Do you think that being in a pair made mine aggressive?
Curious. I had them after they bred outdoors, with platys and had no issues.
that's cool, I will definitely pick up some platies then. I would catch them from my tank, but they're too smart to catch!
I kept two albino paradise gouramis with multiple cichlids; If I were you, I'd try festivums, but I'm aware that they grow too large for the pond in the long run. Maybe you could try some apistogrammas? I've never kept them before and don't know too much about their temperament, but it may work with research...?

Another possibility is branching out into other types of livebearers: Platys, medium sized Swordtails, etc.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sure you know better than me, and my suggestions fully depend on if the pond is heated or not. Good luck!
I'll definitley try some chiclids, can they handle blackwater? I have a 75g tank indoors that could house any peaceful giants
My pond is somewhat heated as it is in a heated greenhouse. Air temp is kept lowest 55 degrees so i assume the pond is 50 degrees, colder than most chiclids could handle but maybe mollies, platies, or guppies could handle it? I'm not sure why my gambusia dissapeared, maybe they were too small.


Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go to pick up some platies/swordtails and hopefully sailfin mollies.
 
that sounds good! I'll see if platies work, they are cheap and i have other ones so i have a failsafe. Do you think that being in a pair made mine aggressive?

that's cool, I will definitely pick up some platies then. I would catch them from my tank, but they're too smart to catch!

I'll definitley try some chiclids, can they handle blackwater? I have a 75g tank indoors that could house any peaceful giants
My pond is somewhat heated as it is in a heated greenhouse. Air temp is kept lowest 55 degrees so i assume the pond is 50 degrees, colder than most chiclids could handle but maybe mollies, platies, or guppies could handle it? I'm not sure why my gambusia dissapeared, maybe they were too small.


Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go to pick up some platies/swordtails and hopefully sailfin mollies.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Festivums do come from black water rivers (Rio Negro). Good luck on your pond! Maybe try and catch native (small) fish!
 
Paradise Fish can go either way . Some will be holy terrors and some will be gentle as a kitten . I think it’s the ones in too small of an aquarium all by themselves that become the troublemakers .
 
When did Macropdus become 'gouramis'? I've seen it elsewhere beyond this forum. Is this a recent internet thing?
I first saw this in a local aquarium shop that really should know better . They were calling a Paradise Fish a Brown Gourami . That was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me . Since then I’ve seen them called Paradise Gourami’s many times on the internet and it always irks me . We owe it to our friend the Paradise Fish to correct this whenever we see it . They are not gourami’s . End of story .
 
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Festivums do come from black water rivers (Rio Negro). Good luck on your pond! Maybe try and catch native (small) fish!
that's great to know! I forgot south american chiclids existed for a sec there
Paradise Fish can go either way . Some will be holy terrors and some will be gentle as a kitten . I think it’s the ones in too small of an aquarium all by themselves that become the troublemakers .
i see!
When did Macropdus become 'gouramis'? I've seen it elsewhere beyond this forum. Is this a recent internet thing?
I first saw this in a local aquarium shop that really should know better . They were calling a Paradise Fish a Brown Gourami . That was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me . Since then I’ve seen them called Paradise Gourami’s many times on the internet and it always irks me . We owe it to our friend the Paradise Fish to correct this whenever we see it . They are not gourami’s . End of story .
Are they not usually called gouramis? they biologically are (Osphronemidae), but i'm not sure what's the best common name for them
I do agree that brown gourami is a strange name though, that usually refers to Chocolate gouramis
 
, but i'm not sure what's the best common name for them
The common name for Macropodus opercularis is PARADISE FISH and has been so since they we were first introduced to the hobby in 1869, being the first 'exotic' species to make its way to home aquariums. No other common name appeared in aquarium literature throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. This gourami business is new. There are many members of Osphronemidae that do not carry the common moniker of gourami. Most notably, bettas. We don't call them Siamese Fighting Gouramis.
 
The common name for Macropodus opercularis is PARADISE FISH and has been so since they we were first introduced to the hobby in 1869, being the first 'exotic' species to make its way to home aquariums. No other common name appeared in aquarium literature throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. This gourami business is new. There are many members of Osphronemidae that do not carry the common moniker of gourami. Most notably, bettas. We don't call them Siamese Fighting Gouramis.
i see, I guess people are generalizing these days since it's become less common and other gouramis have become more common
 

Most reactions

Back
Top