The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I recently had to move my Florida Flag Fish from my 29 gallon tank into their own 10 gallon since they were beating up my Corydoras on a regular basis. At the moment I have a mix of gold and regular WCMM, 4 male Guppy fish, and 4 (soon to be 7) Pepper Corycats along with an albino BN pleco. The temperature is set to 73. My ph sits around 7.5 and the water authority website says the water averages at 96 ppm for calcium. My gh and kh test kits are still in the mail. I run an AquaClear 50 on the tank at the moment, which should be more than enough for the tank size. I have a couple pieces of driftwood, hornwort, java moss, java fern, marimo balls, water sprite and a couple stems of brazilian pennywort managed to survive my Flagfish. The substrate is playsand.

Onto the meat of the matter. I was wondering if a Paradise Fish would be a suitable addition to my aquarium. From some of the research I have done it would probably work, but I wanted to ask people that have experience.

You can find water hardness on your local water providers page. Test kits are usless IMO.

If I convert the 96 ppm to gpg it comes out to 5.6 gpg.

Are you in western Washington? Or eastern? If you're in western then you have pretty much guaranteed soft water :)

Last edited:
Are you in western Washington? Or eastern? If you're in western then you have guaranteed soft water :)
Western, but our water switched from a river supply to 4 giant 4,000 gallon wells with much harder water. The website listed it as moderately hard.

get the actual numbers for the hardness. What water companies call "moderately hard" is a lot more vague than fish keeping definition of "moderately hard"

I had a Paradise fish 20 plus years ago. He was ok for about 6 months then started getting nasty with my neons. Bloke in lfs recommended getting him a GF!. That did quieten him down.
closed the tank down a few months later as I was working away from home a lot back then.
I think theyre of similar nature to flagfish but not as extreme.

Agree, pin down the number for the GH with your water authority. As for the Paradise Fish, I would advise against this given the fish already present. Here is my profile of the species.

Macropodus opercularis

Family: Osphronemidae, Subfamily Macropodusinae

Origin and Habitat: An extensive range through parts of southeastern Asia to China, Korea and Japan. Found in any type of lowland habitat including river backwaters, small streams, ditches, ponds and paddy fields. Shows a preference for still and even stagnant waters. Most available fish will be commercially raised.

Compatibility/Temperament: Not a good community fish for the average aquarium. Smaller fish will be eaten, fins will be nipped, and any similar-looking fish will be attacked. Very aggressive with its own, males in breeding form will often kill rivals; females are less aggressive. Best kept as a pair on its own.

Diet: Omnivorous. They should be able to accept all types of food provided.

Size Normally around 3.5 inches, some males may attain 4 inches.

Minimum Tank Suggestion: 30 inches in length (approximately 25-29 gallons).

Water parameters Very adaptable. Soft to moderately hard (up to 30 dGH), acidic to basic (pH 6 to 8) water, temperature 16-27C/61-80F. Displays its best colouration around 21-24C/70-75F.

Description

While it is quite a beautiful fish, its former popularity has waned now that there are so many other colourful gourami available that are more suitable for community aquaria.

The aquarium should be well planted with subdued lighting, partly achieved by floating plants; minimal flow from the filter suits this fish which prefers very still waters. In common with all the species in the suborder Anabantoidei, this fish possesses an auxiliary breathing organ called the labyrinth, named because of the maze-like arrangement of passages that allow the fish to extract oxygen from air taken in at the surface. The fish must use this accessory method, and it allows the fish to live in oxygen-poor muddy waters. To accommodate this, the aquarium must be kept covered to maintain warm moist air above the surface.

Sexing is easy as males are more colorful and have longer fin extensions compared to the females. This species is a bubblenest spawner. The male builds the bubblenest and entices the female under it. Following the common anabantid embrace, the eggs are expelled and fertilized and then picked up and spat into the nest by the male who then guards the nest. The female must be removed to protect her from the male. He should be removed once the fry reach free-swimming stage before he thinks of eating them.

This is probably the first ornamental fish aside from the goldfish to have been imported to Europe; to France in 1869 and Germany in 1876 [Fishbase].

This fish was first described and named Labrus opercularis in 1758 by Carl Linnaeus in his monumental Systema Naturae, the classification of all then-known species of life on earth that has developed into our present-day binomial nomenclature system. The genus name Labrus means furious, and presently contains four species of marine wrasses, all other former species having been moved elsewhere. The subject species was moved to the genus Macropodus [Lacepede, 1801], the writer assumes by Liem (1963) who also proposed changing the subfamily from Macropodusinae to Macropodinae [accepted by the Integrated Taxonomic Information System]. The taxonomy of the family Osphronemidae is in review.

In 1790, M.E. Bloch described the fish Chaetodon chinensis; this was determined to be the same species by Paepke (1990) and the name is now an (invalid) synonym.

References:

Liem, K.F. (1963), "The comparative osteology and phylogeny of the Anabantoidei (Teleostei, Pisces)," Illinois Biological Monographs No. 30.

Paepke, M.E. (1990), "Zur Synonymie von Macropodus chinensis (Bloch, 1790) und M. opercularis (Linne, 1758) und zur rehabilitation von M. ocellatus Cantor, 1842 (Pisces, Belontiidae)," Mitteilungen aus dem Zoologischen Museum in Berlin, v. 66 (no. 1), pp. 73-78.

So with this information, I will probably pass on the Paradise. Are there any fish you guys think might do well as a centerpiece with the fish and temps I have the tank at?

In summary, you have soft water. Present fish include white cloud mountain minnows which are relatively active fish so you do not want any sedate fish like gourami or cichlids. Considering the tank size and present fish (cories and BN plus minnows), one of the peaceful barbs would work, or a danio. Just stay with the smaller species. There are some tetras too.

In summary, you have soft water. Present fish include white cloud mountain minnows which are relatively active fish so you do not want any sedate fish like gourami or cichlids. Considering the tank size and present fish (cories and BN plus minnows), one of the peaceful barbs would work, or a danio. Just stay with the smaller species. There are some tetras too.
Ok, thanks. I will see what my lfs has.

Ok, thanks. I will see what my lfs has.

Unless you go to a reliable store like The Wet Spot in Portland, might be good to check with us before acquiring whatever strikes your fancy. Just to be safe. :fish:

I have been looking at some nice looking powder blue dwarf gourami. A couple of websites set their temperature range at 72 to 82 F. With my tank at 73 do you think a male would be a good addition?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back