Panther Gobie (neovespicula Depressifrons)

el_vulture619

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 7, 2007
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grand Rapids MI
I recently posted this on a new brackish forum but that one is being loaded with SPAM and is not very well looked after. So this will be my new hang out!

Last month I ordered 2 panther *waspfish* from my LFS. I keep him in a sal of 1.010, it is the largest Ive kept at 2.5 in. Its a picky eater, so far I have only been succesful with gost shrimp. It will even ignore live worms squriming in his face. The worms dont last very long because of the high salinity. I also have 3 mollies in the tank, 2 females 1 male. Hopefully soon they will provide some free fodder for the waspfish!


PICT0071.jpg
 
Wow, nice body shape on him. Looks like hes a charecter. How much was he then?
Try not feeding him for a while (a week at least) it could be that your over feeding him. When the weeks up, try dangaling some lancefish (or any meety food in front of him) until he gets the idea. This could take a couple of weeks if you try to feed him every couple of days.
Any closer photos and any of the whole tank?
 
Yes he is an awsome fish, more ppl should keep them. He was 12 dollars, more than what I've paid in the past but none were this big. I didnt feed him for 3 days after I got him, plus shipping to the LFS and I know it wasnt eating there. When I put the ghost shrimp in there he was chasing after them and ate all 4!

Now it is not in such a hurry to eat. Ill try to feed it other thigs, maybe frozen krill, I was told to make sure the have the eyes on them. Im not sure what a lancefish is. I will take some better pics soon.

Here they are:

PICT0116.jpg


PICT0115.jpg
 
There is a problem with my nitrites/nitrates! They are off the charts! :crazy: I have been trying to fix this problem but not even weekly water changes are helping! I think it may be a few things:

1. My wisper 30 filter I got for free, not a fan of wispers and I think it doesnt work for s*%$, I have replaced(step by step) the stock filter media with poly floss, and some Bio-Max. This all hass been running for a few weeks now and nothing has changed.

2. My substrate, I wanted to use sand, but I may have bought a bad kind. It is cement mixing sand. I bought it because it was a dollar cheaper and was darker than play sand. maybe this has something to do with it? I might end up replacing my substrate soon! :-(
 
Did you cycle before adding the fish? If not then it may be that the tank is still cycling. The sand could be a problem, but it all depends on what is actually in it.

Also, are you sure it is actually a waspfish? As far as I am aware, the Family Tetrarogidae (waspfishes) differ from the Family Scorpaenidae (scorpionfishes) by having the dorsal fin start above, or in front of, the eyes. In the pictures above the dorsal fin is commencing some way behind the eyes making me think it is a scorpionfish.

Mind you, plenty of other pictures of N. depressifrons seem to show a similar starting position. How strange...
 
The tank has been running for 2 months now. I know its still new but the nitrites show no sign of going down. I am going to do another water change and see what happens , if it doesnt get better I may put an aquaclear on it.

I see what you saying about the similarities. :nod: I see more in comon with wasp fish than scorpions. I have looked at some websites that give more pictures of other waspfish, and have found that a few species have dorsal fins similar. They have 3 spines that stand seperate from the rest of the dorsal fin. All of them have the same lateral line and pectoral fin shape. As my fish swims he positions himself in the same manner of fish that I see in pictures.

However I certainly am NOT a biologist, and can only observe. :look:
 
The tank is a 20g long. I plan on adding 3 more for a total of 4. I have heard that they max out at 2.5in, but I have read alot of rumors that they can get 12! :D I hope so, if this is true I will be upgrading! Of course they will be full salt also.
 
Hi

My husband just said that building Sand you use for making concrete has been washed in chemicals to help bonding. Just a thought!

Sabby
 
Hi

My husband just said that building Sand you use for making concrete has been washed in chemicals to help bonding. Just a thought!

Sabby



Really??!! I will look in to that for sure! From what the pakage says it can be used for multiple purposes. CRAP! :sad:
 
Hi

My husband just said that building Sand you use for making concrete has been washed in chemicals to help bonding. Just a thought!

Sabby



Really??!! I will look in to that for sure! From what the pakage says it can be used for multiple purposes. CRAP! :sad:


Hi Again

They probably mean multiple purposes within building or similar stuff, but not Fish Keeping.
Just check it out. Mabe someone reading this knows otherwise.

Sabby
 
It says everything except aquariums. HHHMMMM.....
I think it has got to be the sand. They filter is running fine, but I will still get an aquaclear. The Panther gobie is doing fine despite the high nitrites. All the fish are doing fine really.
 
It says everything except aquariums. HHHMMMM.....
I think it has got to be the sand. They filter is running fine, but I will still get an aquaclear. The Panther gobie is doing fine despite the high nitrites. All the fish are doing fine really.


Hi Again

If the sand has been washed in chemicals it will kill of your fish. The first thing you need to change the sand. It's not that hard as you're tank is not that big and you don't have that much deco in there. Even if the fish seem ok trust me they're not happy. It's not fair on the fish.

Sabby
 
OK! Sabby you talked me in to it! :good: I will start a mass over haul and water change today...... sonn to be happy fish! Then maybe the mollies will breed and feed the panther! B)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top