Pangasius

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Nearly 8 years ago I set up my first FW aquarium, a 46G bow front. My first 4 fish were two white skirt tetras and two tiny little silvery 'iridescent' fish that were each only 1 1/2 " long. Two of those fish are still alive after all this time. No one told me tho' that they could grow up to 3 feet long. Primary newb mistake numero uno: know what you are stocking.

Pangasius species are sold at almost every LFS in the country. The tanks are swarming with them. "Community fish." "Tropical". No where does it say 'keep them in water and they will turn into monsters that will outgrow your tank'. Fortunately, I guess, for them, I turned out to be a serious aquarist. So, I cared for them, fed them, and took them with me when I moved.

As the fish grew larger, they were quite a sight to see. Sharks? No, catfish, yes. BUT they DO look like sharks. Their eyes became huge. The tail fin enormous. The larger fish became a brute. You could see his muscles undulating with each side to side swipe of his tail. Truly a stunning animal.

Pangasius are nervous fish. They spook. And..they spook EASILY. It wasn't uncommon to be awoken in the middle of the night with what sounded to be a tsunami in the next room. Banging...smashing....splashing. You name it. Poor guys. But, ya know, you grow attached to the little feller's in your tank. The only thing is, one fish, two fish, three fish...well, 12" fish is 100 fish. And, my fellow forum'ers, big fish eat. They poop. They create nitrates.

As time went on, the bags of algae tabs purchased became the humongo size. Ever check the price on them? The larger dude began to cut himself on the inside of the tank. I had to remove the lava rock tunnel that many of us keep in our 'children-scaped' tanks. Like razors to them. Also, some small fish began to disappear, but heck, wouldn't want to blame that on my two big dudes. Some fish would get the snot beaten out of them from the vortex of the maelstrom.

About a year ago, I had to move. Time to go fishing. Pulling those pangasius (?pangasii?)out of the tank for transfer was like Bill and Bob's Big Fishing Day out. Wrangling in a bluefish off of Jones Beach was MUCH easier. And, let me warn you, do you know what's inside those dorsal and pectoral fins? Yes, my friends, spines as sharp as that cat you had as a kid that left bleeding stripes down your arm. Half hour later, a good strong arm, will stronger than theirs and a large dishpan resulted in SH 2, pangasius 0. The fins tore off the spines a bit but mother nature took care of that and they healed.

Unfortunately, the day came when ONE thing took over that was becoming increasingly more difficult: nitrates. Unless one has room for a 500 gallon tank, or, continuous water denitrification...it becomes a problem. Increasing size, rising nitrates, less room to swim, well, you get the picture. After 8 years, it was looking like it was time that I was going to have to re-home them.

Uh...ever try to rehome a 14" and 12" pangasius? Not happening easily. UNLESS.....you remember something called Craigslist. So, after posting a message, a young guy (much younger by my standards), responded to my plea for help. He has a 150 gallon tank, loves pets and was building an indoor freshwater pond. Wow. I like the way this dude thinks.

So, today, I put on my galoshes and waders, toweled up the floor, grabbed my 30lb test line and, yes, the battle of fish vs man once again, took place today. After 30 minutes, 20 gallons of splashed displaced water, wet walls and an underwear soaked SH....I emerged, victorious. But...was I?

So, on this beautiful iridescent sunny day, I am, for the first time in 8 years, pangasius-less. How sad. On the one hand there is a feeling of success, having kept them alive through all sorts of disruptions in their fish life including cycling, ich, etc. On the other hand, packing them up and sending them out after 8 years, well.....

Thanks to 'Joe', 10 exits away on the Long Island Expressway, two netted and crowded little dudes found a home and will have more space to swim. Une nouvelle maison, chez eux, 'par excellence'. So, farewell you guys. Party rock is in the house tonite, for you. SH

pangasius1.jpg

pangasius2-1.jpg

Great story, glad you managed to find them a good new home.
They do sound like monster fish, not for the beginner!

Wow, I didn't realize they were that big. :blink: SH, these things are in exhibits in zoo Miami. Gorgeous fish. Glad you finally found them a good home. :good:

Whatcha gonna do with all that real estate in the 46g now?

Go have yourself a beer, you earned it. :D

L

Liveaquaria.com. Big shipment coming Wednesday. Nitrates are now down from the high 100's to about 40 ppm. It actually is about time that I either upgrade to a larger FW...start a cichlid tank...or.........or........

Liveaquaria.com. Big shipment coming Wednesday. Nitrates are now down from the high 100's to about 40 ppm. It actually is about time that I either upgrade to a larger FW...start a cichlid tank...or.........or........

:kana: Oh do tell what you ordered!!! You keep us in suspense and it isn't fair. :sad:

Geez, that's a lot of nitrates, my planted tanks never reached that level, even with daily dosing of nitrates.

Do a planted tank... :hey:

did this myself about 12 years ago. LFS said they it wouldn't get big. 7 months and it grew to about a foot and ate half its tankmates, every morning i'd come downstairs and as each day passed i'd have less and less fish. he jumped out of the tank a few times when cleaning it too, really skittish. took him back to the same lfs and they told me they grew to 3ft :blink: i only had a little rio 125

i still have nightmares

They look gorgeous in the pics, glad you managed to find them a nice new home. It's a shame all larger fish dont have an ending like this...

A good little read, shame you had to get rid but it was a wise decision. Hopefully in a few years time 'Joe' will get in touch with you and invite you to see his 2 3' long Catfish :good:

James.

we sell these at my lfs where i work BUT i have never sold anyone one because no one can care for these lovely fish properly. Im hoping if none get sold we will stop getting them in.

I gotta take a trip to Zoo Miami or dig up my old Pangasius footage from my last trip. There's an Asian River life exhibit with growing pangasius and OMG! They are huge! :blink: Massive tinfoil barbs and gouramis in that exhibit as well.

L

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back