Pangasianodon gigas

tn_Padja_u0.jpg

Pangasius djambal

tn_Pahyp_u5.jpg

Pangasius hypophthalmus

tn_Pasan_u3.jpg

Pangasius sanitwongsei

:unsure::rolleyes::unsure:

OK, that just makes me hungry. Nothing like some catfish, deep-fried with beer batter. :drool:

This is what i am told we are eating when we eat at long john silvers..I dont know how true this is I dont eat fish at all. nothing no shrimp lobster or any thing, I like to see them to much alive so I wont eat them. I dont knock anyone who does but not me....

****** They are some big catfishes, i was looking in my LFS the other day and was tempted to buy some maybe i won't now- However what you have to take into consideration is the fish only grows to it's limit within the tank size.

Please watch your language!

And there lieth the road to damnation...

Unfortunately for aquarists, very few fish actually "grow to the size of the tank", whatever the tropical fish stores say. While it's fair to say most fish stay somewhat smaller in captivity than their maximum size in the wild, this is usually a factor of 10 or 20%. Many is the oscar or tinfoil barb or plec that has wound up too big for the 60 cm aquarium it originally inhabited.

Really, you should only ever buy a fish once you know its adult size and only if you have a tank suitable for a fish of that size.

Cheers,

Neale

However what you have to take into consideration is the fish only grows to it's limit within the tank size.

i used to have one, the reason being they most look like a shark out of all the other tropical fish!!!!
Anyone care to prove me wrong???

And bloody hell do those things look massivemine died of white spot so i wasnt unleashed its full wrath

hiya all
well looking in the pfk mag there has just been a thing on tank busting catfish, which is whats on here as well i think one of the things that should be done to help people avoid buying these fish without realising is also post pics of them when they are smaller or juvies so people know what they look like in the lfs.
when you look at the pics in here now you would never realise that they were the same as some of the fish sold as ok :no: in lfs.
:D :D :D

u sure theyre not growin space monkey? my P.Sanitwrongsei stopped growing for a while, then switched from processed food to its tank mates (about half his size then) and boy did he grow, but then again he was 20 odd inches...... needless to say he out grew my biggest tank eventually and had to sell him on a collector :/ damn i miss that thing :byebye:

I love oddballs two!!! = ]

Oh no, I have just purchased one of these today - :crazy: wish I had checked here first..... will phone my LFS first thing in the morning

Pangasius sutchi is an old redundant name for Pangasius hypophthalmus which is the current valid scientific name for the fish [URL="http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=172"]http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=172[/URL]

How big would you say a Hypopthalmus will grow given the correct conditions?

I bought one 3 or 4 years ago not knowing what it was, I just liked the look of the 1" shark in the shop. It is now about 10" and as mentioned by others on here it has growth spurts, I feed him mainly on pellet but he gets plenty of prawns too (oh, and the occasional guppy or tetra).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back