Pangaisus With weired neuro behavior

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, ive rescued him today.. He has this weired swimming sometimes even flipping on his back. the guy i took from said he had him for 6 mounths and hes been always like this, and hes saying his eating and growing..Did anyone here seen anything like this? do you think its a disease? a birth defact? a neurological problem?Do you have any suggestions on how to help him?

Its cramped and stressed. How big a tank is it going into?

These really are not aquarium fish. They will grow to well over a metre in length and can live for over 20 years. Please read this https://www.seriouslyfish.com/stunted-growth-means-stunted-lives/

Good on you for rescuing him, but he needs to be in a large pond. This is probably problematic because he also needs to be in tropical temperatures. I don't know which species you have but here is the profile of one of the types commonly sold in the aquarium trade https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pangasius-sanitwongsei/

Last edited:
Seangee, we can't use your link.

For the OP, if the fish has been doing that for 6 months then it probably has brain damage. It might have been injured as a baby. It could also be a ruse, and the former owner simply said its been going on for 6 months but in reality it is something more recent.

Make sure it has clean water and lots of food (it's pretty skinny), and see how it goes.

It's definitely stressed too so find it a bigger enclosure asap.

This link.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/pangasius_sanitwongsei_adult_2.jpg

I go to a page which says:
Error 1011 Ray ID: 503b9f1f9f0ed1cf • 2019-08-09 17:59:02 UTC
Access denied
What happened?

The owner of this website (www.seriouslyfish.com) does not allow hotlinking to that resource (/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/pangasius_sanitwongsei_adult_2.jpg).
Thanks. I've deleted the post. It was the second pic down in the species profile - typical fisherman pose with a large catfish held in his arms.

Hi , i know about htose fish.. sadly i rescue them pretty often.. i wish they wont be treaded anymore...
We have a plan to build a heated pond for them.. at the moment the biggest tank i have is 1000L
after transfering him to a transparent quarantee ive noticed that his tail seems defacted, it has a weired shape.. can this be the reason of this weired swimming?

Ah that's ok then. Thought I should check because we often get people that think it would be cool to keep completely inapproriate fish. (I also wish they wouldn't trade them).
I'm afraid I'm not too experienced on illnesses or diseases, @Colin_T is probably your best bet.

After reading again on whirling disease it seems like the symptoms are similar.. however is described as a disease that attacks salmons and coldwater fish so is it likley that this is the case?
and i read about the worm host,so does that mean that the parasite wont multiply and eventually the fish will heal by himself? i mean as long as i keep him isolated and without any contact with those worms
if you have any exp or knowledge on Whirling disease id like to hear, thank you

A deformed tail is not going to cause that.

If you can provide a link to the whirling disease you are referring to, I can check it.

Normally if fish develop problems with swimming and spiral through the water, they have a bacterial, protozoan or viral infection in the brain. this is generally caused by poor water quality and a dirty environment. If left untreated the fish usually dies within a few days of showing these symptoms.
The fish in question has apparently had the issue for over 6 months so it is unlikely to be this.

The best treatment for infections in fish is to clean the tank conditions up by doing big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate. If there is no improvement after a couple of water changes then salt can be added. However, if this has been going on for 6 months, then it is highly unlikely to be a disease and sounds more like brain damage that was caused by something along time ago.

Oh man. I wish you lived in India. I would have been ready to take in that pangaisus for my predatory lake in my farm. Oh there is a way to cure it. Problem is I have to be there with the fish. I suggest you euthanize the poor fish.
You've done the best you could.

Oh man. I wish you lived in India. I would have been ready to take in that pangaisus for my predatory lake in my farm. Oh there is a way to cure it. Problem is I have to be there with the fish. I suggest you euthanize the poor fish.
You've done the best you could.
I still didnt do anything.. What is your way to cure it? please share the info you have.. i have medications from all over the world..

Colin- The tank he was in wasent seems neglected or bad, there were alot of healthy fish,proper filteration and guy told me that hes doing WC in a proper amount with vaccuming. I didnt checked the water parameters though but if it was water problems id expect to see other fish have problems as well and especialy due to the fact that pangaisus are very strong fish who very rarly catch diseases.there were much more sensitive fish there.
Anyway right now hes in a quarantine with super clean water.
Here are a few links:
https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2016/03/whirling-disease-myxobolus-cerebralis.html
http://stopaquatichitchhikers.org/hitchhikers/others-whirling-disease/
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal...se/fact-sheet/eng/1336686597267/1336686806593

In India, The farmers in my Grandfathers predatory farm say that adding Honey will make it better [not cure it!!!]. However I am not too sure whether it is true as I have never tried it myself. If you try it, Add only a teaspoon.

Thats it? just honey? Thats what youll do if he were at your place?

Yup. I'd take their advice anyday. Anyone who can make an arowana live for 29 years is an expert according to me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back