Pale corydora?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jasmine_aquatics

Reaction score
I got a new bronze corydora to join my other 5 yesterday, it is very pale (almost albino looking, but it has dark eyes so I don't think it's an albino). It is behaving normally, eating, resting, exploring etc. All the other fish look a normal colour and are behaving normally. It's just the paleness I'm worried about, can bronze corys naturally look this pale? Or is it possibly stressed or sick?
I attached some poor quality photos of it because it's hard to take a photo while it moves away.

Side note: water parameters are perfect, tank is heavily planted and has lots of caves

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_234120355.jpg
    IMG_20220820_234120355.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220820_234148922.jpg
    IMG_20220820_234148922.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 43
Can you take some photos with the tank light on, please? It's impossible to tell that it's even a bronze cory when it's just a fish shape in the darkness... ;)

Is the new fish in a quarantine tank?

There can be some natural variance in colour depth with bronze cories, depending on where they've originated/their lines, but they can also be pale at night, when lights have just been turned on, when stressed out (and moving to a new home is always going to produce some stress, even under the best of circumstances) and also potentially when sick.

Put the light on/add a lamp nearby, give the fish an hour or so, then get some clearer photos if possible please.

ETA: To get a photo, wait until feeding time then lure it to the front with an algae wafer or cory pellet (they shouldn't have algae wafers too often, needing mostly insects in their diet, but as an occasional treat/photo lure is fine!) Easiest also to make sure the glass is clean inside and wipe off any water marks on the outside for clear photos.

use the camera flash too.
Really? I find that that sometimes makes things worse by reflecting off the glass and water, causing a big white spot in the middle of the pic. But, I'm far from a photography nerd, only point and shoot!

I usually end up taking photos in the evening, just the tank lights on and all other light sources off, so nothing is bringing in light from outside and bouncing off the glass

Really? I find that that sometimes makes things worse by reflecting off the glass and water, causing a big white spot in the middle of the pic. But, I'm far from a photography nerd, only point and shoot!
Hold the camera on an angle, slightly above the fish, and slightly facing the fish's head.

The camera flash will bounce off the glass and not appear in the picture if you hold the camera on an angle to the tank.

Photographing the fish from slightly above gives better colour and same deal when photographing from the face to the back.

I have had Bronze in the past where they look slightly pale. Sometimes genetic(i guess) or maybe slightly stressed being a newcomer. I have 1 now that i have had for 18 months & is slightly lighter compared to the other 7, This is why i said could be genetics

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back