nigsy
Fish Fanatic
- Joined
- Jun 17, 2008
- Messages
- 147
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 16
Hi all,
My first post (hopefully of many, not all with probs though!).
A bit of history first. I am not new to keeping tropical fish. I have had a small 90litre setup for about 24 months.
Feeling confident, and with an understanding of how tanks work and what kind of fish I am comfy with, 3 weeks ago I bought a much larger tank. A fluval 260 (260 litre).
All the water from the 90 liter tank was moved to the new tank. Also my existing filter setup (a fluval 350 external filter), I simply switched across, with all the media intact. The pump was inactive, but full of water for 30 mins maximum. I filled the new tank up, introduced my existing fish to the new tank and all was good.
Last week, 2 weeks after set up, I checked the chemistry and all was good, so I went out and bought some more fish. Again introduced them, didn't loose any until today.
I came down this morning ( this is 3 weeks after set up), and all the fish are gasping at the surface for oxygen, even worse all 3 of my shrimps (9 months old and the most reliable algae eaters around) were dead on the bottom of the tank.
Some info to help:
Tank surface area= 800 square inches
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites =0
Ammonia =0
Ph = 6.6
Fish in tank:
5 harlequins
6 phantom tetras
6 white tip tetras
1 Black stripe tetra
2 albino cory
2 dwarf gourami
(and there were my 3 shrimp)
My questions are:
Obviously this is an oxygen problem, but why has this suddenly happened?
How can I fix it?
Is there a way of measuring dissolved oxygen rates?
As it's to late to save the shrimps, a general question about them. Do they have gills? did they suffocate because they can't swim around at the surface?
I have done a small water change this morning to bump O2 levels back up, and the fish seem happy again, but do need a permanent fix.
Cheers, in advance.
My first post (hopefully of many, not all with probs though!).
A bit of history first. I am not new to keeping tropical fish. I have had a small 90litre setup for about 24 months.
Feeling confident, and with an understanding of how tanks work and what kind of fish I am comfy with, 3 weeks ago I bought a much larger tank. A fluval 260 (260 litre).
All the water from the 90 liter tank was moved to the new tank. Also my existing filter setup (a fluval 350 external filter), I simply switched across, with all the media intact. The pump was inactive, but full of water for 30 mins maximum. I filled the new tank up, introduced my existing fish to the new tank and all was good.
Last week, 2 weeks after set up, I checked the chemistry and all was good, so I went out and bought some more fish. Again introduced them, didn't loose any until today.
I came down this morning ( this is 3 weeks after set up), and all the fish are gasping at the surface for oxygen, even worse all 3 of my shrimps (9 months old and the most reliable algae eaters around) were dead on the bottom of the tank.
Some info to help:
Tank surface area= 800 square inches
Nitrates = 0
Nitrites =0
Ammonia =0
Ph = 6.6
Fish in tank:
5 harlequins
6 phantom tetras
6 white tip tetras
1 Black stripe tetra
2 albino cory
2 dwarf gourami
(and there were my 3 shrimp)
My questions are:
Obviously this is an oxygen problem, but why has this suddenly happened?
How can I fix it?
Is there a way of measuring dissolved oxygen rates?
As it's to late to save the shrimps, a general question about them. Do they have gills? did they suffocate because they can't swim around at the surface?
I have done a small water change this morning to bump O2 levels back up, and the fish seem happy again, but do need a permanent fix.
Cheers, in advance.

to TFF,






