Oxygen For Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tazman1234

Reaction score
I have recently changed from an Aqua Clear 500 to a Fluval 404. I wasn't sure if I placed the spout under the water level if the tank would still have enough oxygen for the fish. If the spout remains say about 1 inch below the surface do I have to do anything to add air or does the fluval do this all on it's own. I don't really want to place the spout above the surface much to noisy for the living room.

Any idea's or opignions would be great

thanks

Don

A fairly popular way to deal with this is to angle the output upwards a bit to disturb the surface of the water and aid gas exchange.

i understand that the noise of trickling water in the living room might annoy some people, but arguably, placing the outflow just above the waterline is the best solution for oxygenating the water. i've only recently placed my filters above the waterlive, and am getting used to the sound already! It's quite soothing hearing water, plus you ignore it when it's constant.

With airstones, the smaller the bubbles the better, or so I'm told.

No, the smaller bubbles are worse, they agitate the water less and should be used only as decoration.

Well, i was told wrong :X

But having a filter output out of the water creates tiny bubbles anyway, so surely they can't be that bad? And it seemed logical to me that the smaller the bubble, the slower it travels, the more oxygenating it could do? hmm

he didnt mean small bubbles are bad. any bubble in the water, no matter the size, is going to hit the surface too quickly to be absorbed, unless its passed through some sort of diffuser. bigger bubbles disturb the surface more, which makes them good :p

Then again, if the bubbles are in long enough contact with the water then smaller ones will be more efficient by creating a larger surface area for gas exchange. This is how Protein Skimmers help ensure adequate gas exchange for marine setups.

So it looks like I'll have to tolerate the noise of water breaking the surface to ensure proper oxygen levels.

Thanks

Not necessarily breaking the surface, mounting a spray bar or outlet under the surface poitning up will help, so long as it causes a large amount of ripples, though it will not be as effective as having a water flow into the water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back