Overtank Luminaires- A Good Thing?

joel_mcfetridge

Reaction score
i've got a rekord 120 tank and have got 2 filters, a skimmer and heater. next is a better lighting source! the tank is 40" across and i was going to get an arcadia overtank luminaire (100cm). does anyone have one of these? do the look good on the tank as it's in my living room and i want it to look good. thanks. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I dont use one myself, but I hear nothing but good things about them. And from pictures I've seen, they look pretty sharp

Alrite mate :good:

I've got the 2ft one on my tank and it looks pretty good. I'd highly reccomend it. Here are some (Poor) picture of it above my tank:

sidec.jpg

actnictank.jpg

latestfulltank.jpg

latest.jpg

fts3.jpg

reef4.jpg

both.jpg

:lol: Sorry if i went a bit overboard i just copied & pasted everything off photbucket :dunno:

HTH :)
Dan

yer ive got a 120cm one, they are very good lights good lumination too as the next thing up are MH and well for my tank it would go from 200 quid to 500 so i stayed with the t5s. only thing is be warned the cables on eithger side of the thing are quite short so i had to sort out all my plugs :(

yer make sure you have got alot, some people do as it can stop fish jumping out.. havent had that problem yet. but take into account they will get misted up then will absorb some of the light making the lights not as strong.

Here is my 4 foot one. Bit of an old pic now but hey there we go!
DSCF0200.jpg

im looking at these but not sure if i will need the 2 or 4 tube version, its going on a 32''wide 110 litre tank but the only thing is on my tropical tanks i use timers on the mains socket and would like to only have the 4 tube version on 4 tubes for part of the day so start on 2 tubes then 4 for most of the day then finish with 2 again if you understand. do the 4 tube version have 2 mains plugs?

Thats not an issue the arcadia one for a 4 bulb runs on 2 plugs so one does a pair and another for the other 2. Personlly i Wld got for the 4 more light and u can have 2 different light level affects with better growth.

Cool, I didnt see this post, and i've just added a new one. Opps well never mind.

So these lights are ok for a reef tank then... mines a 240l (about 120cm long) and what about the condensation tray? could you put one on anyway im worried about fish and other things making their way out of the tank. (its more for the misses piece of mind than my own really :good: )

Cheers,

Mike

Hey knoxy and welcome to TFF :)

I had wondered about using a condesation tray myself to keep my firefish (Well-known jumpers) in the tank but was worried about the disadvantages of using one.

I think you'd have to be careful about the heat as it can't escape through the plastic as well and heat is already a major problem for most reefers. Also you'd lose some light from your luminaire as it would have to penetrate throught he condensation tray and while this won't be much strength lost if it's a deep tank 18"+ it could cause problems for corals at the bottom of the tank :/

It's up to you but i'd see if there is any other solution that could be used first. I've had no problems with my open top tank though TBH.

HTH
Dan ;)

You can consider rigging up some egg-crate to fit on the top of your tank to keep fish in and still let the light through :good:

Cheers Sf05.

Ski - yeah eggcrate sounds like a good idea.

Just another question....

Can you keep Clams with lights like these or are they not powerful enough?

... all these questions :unsure: ... so much to learn... :hyper: but i'd rather get it right first time round. :good:

Cheers,

Knoxy :drool:

Most reactions

Back