Our new girl Tina Turtle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

tina_turtle

Reaction score
Hi! New to the turtle community. We adopted Tina ā€œPickleā€ Turtle (african sideneck) just over a week ago. She is in a 40 gallon tank, humidity, pH levels, and temperatures are perfect. Iā€™m posting because she seems inactive and it has me concerned. When her lights are on, she hides in her tunnel, almost all day. The tunnel is located near the heater. She wonā€™t eat mealworms when fed, so I have been relying on pellets (which she loves!). I have yet to see her baskā€¦ a few times iā€™ve put her on the platform, and she promptly dives back off and swims to her hidey hole.

Could she still be nervous about the new environment? We got her the day she arrived at the pet store, so she was only in their environment for a couple hours, at most.

First pic is how she sleeps (sideways and behind her log) and the second is from the day we brought her home.

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. I want her to thrive and love her space! TYIA.

Attachments

• A38A78EE-A50D-4A79-A411-A64388137922.jpeg
    A38A78EE-A50D-4A79-A411-A64388137922.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 9F6D9134-B923-48B1-9F5F-02DF1C52AAA0.jpeg
    9F6D9134-B923-48B1-9F5F-02DF1C52AAA0.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 24
Well, I'd like to say: Give it some time... Turtles in general can take their time to get adjusted to a new environment. And it's not particularly that she's been housed at the store for just a quick moment but more where she came from first. But turtles like these like to expose their selves and hide. So basically, nothing to be worried about. So again, just give it some time.

My last remaining red eared slider (from 3 hatched in 1984) is still going strong, but when I moved her last week so she could get more sun to bask in, she hid for 2 days. Many turtles take time to evaluate their surroundings and settle in.

You have a pet turtle and didnt enter the Pet of the Month contest? The entry period ends in just 2 hours so we hope you enter your turtle soon. Please read rules in the entry thread before entering.

Click Here to view entry thread.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back