Otocinclus - Really That Sensitive?

Trollfest

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Middlesbrough, UK
Went to the LFS yesterday to buy some Otos and when I said that the tank had only been set up for 2 months I was advised against getting them as the tank should be about 6 month matured to allow enough detritus to accumulate for them to eat; was this accurate advice? They don't eat other fishes poo do they so why would this be?

I looked Otos up in a book and it said that they often don't do well and that they may linger for a while but often just die. Are they really that difficult to keep? Any advice or comments would be appreciated. (btw I didn't buy any)
 
They are very sensitive fish and often dont last long after introducing them to a new tank, the owner of the shop was correct in that they shouldnt be in a newly set up tanks as there isnt much algae growth for them to live on and they do primarily live on algae, even though you can supplement with algae tablet and cucumber, they dont often touch it and will die without a large enough food source.
 
As much as many fishkeepers dislike algae on the glass, you may want to allow some to grow on the back wall of the tank if you really want otos. You can always hide it with a screen of plants if the sight bothers you.

You could also try getting some smooth rocks and putting them in some tank water on a sunny windowsill to cultivate algae for the otos, just rotate the rocks and make sure you have enough to keep the otos in a constant supply of food.

And yes, 2 months is really not long enough at all. Give it 6 months to one year at least.
 
Yes the lfs is correct, and I must say you've got yourself a good lfs. :good:

Not many lfs would have told you that, many would have just sold you them in order to make a sale

Andy
 
i was looking at getting these and was put off for now but i was told to pick the fatest ones in the shop as this is a sign they are eating ok :good: but not too fat as there could be a problem..... :unsure:
 
If you want otos, it is best to let a good deal of green algae develop in the tank first and always have a second tank that needs the green algae cleaned off. That way you can move rocks and such from the second tank when the food in their original tank runs out. I don't think they are especially sensitive to new vs. old tanks but they do not eat prepared foods well at all. I hate to see them starve in my tank, although it has happened to me. It is the reason I no longer keep them. They really prosper the first few months and then run out of food and only survive another month or two of me rearranging ornaments to try to feed them. These days, with the number of tanks I have running, I might be able to feed them longer but I refuse to take the chance.
 
ive never had a problem with otos. however, i have a LOT of plants and a bit of wood in my tank with the otos. and i only ever clean the front glass so that they have enough food. ive heard folks say they are very sensitive, but ive never had a problem and have kept them (the same fish) over 2 years.
if youre worried, defo grow some algae on a few smooth rocks in same tank water on a sunny windowsill as suggested above. also, they will take blanched spinach.
good luck.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top