Other Forum Issues- Venting!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

carligraceee

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Alright I just joined another fish forum to see what other people like to share and to see if I could help out anybody else.

I posted one link of this forum's cycling link and it got deleted.
Then I shared two Etsy shops for this one person who was having trouble finding affordable plants.

I got a message saying I was posting excessive links and that I was not allowing room for the forum's members to share their ideas through the threads on that forum.

I am genuinely confused. Am I overreacting or do I have a right to be upset? I thought forums were a place to share all different things like experiences and things that helped you learn as a fish keeper...
If I am overreacting, tell me... but I am a bit upset right now since I was just trying to help out and the moderator was very rude.

I can understand why they did not appove of the link to our forum's cycling thread. We also don't approve of links to other fish forums. As far as the Etsy links, that's debateable--if they felt you were promoting your own Etsy shop , they may not approve of that. I wouldn't get too upset about it.

Maybe you should have just quoted what you know about cycling from this forum site. But not mention where the information came from. As for the Etsy thing, maybe next time you need to just point the people in the general direction. Forum sites are protective of their information and their people.

I can understand why they did not appove of the link to our forum's cycling thread. We also don't approve of links to other fish forums. As far as the Etsy links, that's debateable--if they felt you were promoting your own Etsy shop , they may not approve of that. I wouldn't get too upset about it.
I decided to just walk away from the site. I am a bit calmer but I was mostly upset with the way I was spoken to. But I logged off and won’t be logging back on. Thank you guys for calming me down a bit!

Most forums don't appreciate links to other forums. Understandable...
But I do link sometimes to my own website. But that's not a forum to start with. If I link to my website, it's to make certain things clear about a livebearer issue. For most people on a forum are only familiar with the common livebearers and some general rules in maintenance of therm, while I go beyond that.

Different forums have different rules, it's best to be aware of and read those rules before posting.

I was/am a Mod on another fishkeeping forum, and the rules there differ from the rules here.

I run a few Groups and Forums and all have the 'No links' rule.
This is mainly to stop anything unpleasant coming back to mine and, more importantly, because whilst I can guarantee safety in my Groups/Fora, I cannot offer the same for others.
I confess that I have had some members whose sole contribution was to provide links to the works of others and then sit back and bask in the reflected glories of ammasing undeserved 'Likes'. :rolleyes:

Occasionally, I get a member complaining about this, but as it is clear in the given Rules and all members agree to abide to those rules before being permitted to join, such members usually get the boot.
Life's too short to try and placate awkward/demanding/self-righteous/self-entitled members, who fail to realise that they are actually guests in my spaces and that those spaces are NOT democracies.

Now I am in no way passing judgement on carligraceee and would only suggest that you carefully review the Group/Forum Rules before you commit yourself. There are plenty of places on-line and there'll always be some that meet your own requirements. Of course, if in the unlikely event that there isn't, you could always create your own.

**Puts moderator hat on**

For those members who haven't read them, here are our forum rules.

The werewolf sneaks up behind you and steals your hat before running off into the bush. Holding the moderator's hat hostage until I get my werewolf emoji :)
The werewolf has been very quiet lately is he hibernating during winter.😼

Here ya go, @Colin_T . You can make this your avatar.
PS: can I have my hat back now?
werewolf emoji.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back