Oscar Trauma

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishGuyBri

Reaction score
Please let me know if this should go somewhere else, but I wanted to thread out what we did when our juvenile unnamed red oscar jumped out of our 6 foot tank and hitched a ride with my dog. I mentioned it in my 227 system discussion but thought it may be of help here. I had to pry him out of my dog's mouth and we immediately threw him in our hospital tank (we always keep one empty tank up, 20 gallons, for either quarantine or hospital). Being that he had fin damage, some missing scales, what appeared to be bruises, and probably unknown injuries plus being out of the water about 2-3 minutes, we decided to treat with Melafix and Kordon's Fish Protector. It may not have been necessary but it's what we had on hand. This all happened 1.26.22 - he did not eat a single piece of food until 2.2.22. Over the time in between we did water changes and continued dosing Melafix, with the Fish Protector only when we did water change. He has really bounced back! We kept temp at 77, added extra oxygen and only used a sponge filter to keep flow down. It was touch and go for a few days but he has seriously bounced back! We will continue to monitor in the hospital tank at least another week before reintroducing him to the main tank but wanted to share. I will add more photos of progress up to now and beyond if anyone is interested. Here are the day 1 photos below.

Attachments

• ToughOscar.JPG
    ToughOscar.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ToughOscar2.JPG
    ToughOscar2.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 40
This is just crazy, FYI. I'm not keen on name changes, but "Jumper" has been renamed Phoenix for most obvious reasons- he's rising back from the ashes! This little fish is doing AMAZING. Energy is back, eating very well and swimming well. I will get some updated pictures but we still have Phoenix in our hospital tank with 3x/weekly water changes and monitoring since we didnt make it through the full ICK treatment before the trauma situation- but is doing so well! The picture in this post is just 4 days after the previous pictures, I have more to upload to show progress and will post them soon. I seriously didn't think he'd make it but am so happy!

Attachments

• Phoenix 1.30.22.JPG
    Phoenix 1.30.22.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Phoenix 1.30.22 2.JPG
    Phoenix 1.30.22 2.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 35
Phoenix is doing extremely well! He has moved from his hospital tank back to the main display 180 gallon. The other Oscars were picking on him at first and we were quite worried, but today he's eating with the group and seems to be allowed back in the family :) Our ***AMAZING*** LFS here in Cape Coral gave us some advice that is very effective and I'm so excited to get him back to normal after rehab :) I guess my profession (nursing) extends to the fish world.

Wow, what an incredible story, and fish!
Must have been so upsetting having to pry him from your dog's mouth, then seeing the state he was in at first when you put him in the hospital tank (can't blame the dog of course, mine would have done the same - completely natural urge for a dog that doesn't understand that this fish is special!).

The difference between the first photo and the last one, wow! He looks so much better. So good to hear that he's been accepted back into the main tank as well! Heart-warming thread that I really needed to read right now, thank you so much for sharing it! :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back