Oscar tank! Set up and suggestions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My 2 Oscars are 6 months old and roughly 8 inches already. Ragnar and Lagatha. I believe they are gonna be huge. I have them in a 125 long with 3 silver dollars. ( Going get 3 more) and a pleco.
I just got into the hobby in January. And would like some suggestions.
I running an FX4 and a fluval 307 along with a Marinland internal polisher..
The oscars don't mess with the plants or the other fish, well except for play time. I believe I somehow got a breeding pair because these 2 love each other and I mean love. Constantly caressing each other and huddled together when spooked. Is this normal? I will include pics and a video if I can.

Attachments

• 20220712_225300.jpg
    20220712_225300.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220712_225305.jpg
    20220712_225305.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220701_084225.jpg
    20220701_084225.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220718_075914.jpg
    IMG_20220718_075914.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220712_225305.jpg
    20220712_225305.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 32
I have two oscars similar size in a similar size tank and there isnā€™t no relationship between them , 8inchs is roughly a size Iā€™d expect oscars to start the pairing process but maybe a little small still for actual breeding , they are funny characters and one of mine will lie down like itā€™s dying when water changes happen the other takes advantage of the shallow water and gives other fish a sneaky jab , I canā€™t sex oscars and I believe they are virtually impossible to sex as an individual without venting
Iā€™d guess if the two are very close you might have the making of a pair ,

6 silver dollars and two oscars in a 125 is a big bio load but with the filtration you have itā€™s about right but once all fully grown thatā€™s going to be a cramped tank without a pleco , and having a large tank Iā€™m guessing your looking for a large pleco .
A breeding pair of oscars will most likely use the whole 125 as there territory probably leaving 6 x7inch silver dollars a little lost and vulnerable I personally would hold off adding the dollars until you know if they are a breeding pair

I have two oscars similar size in a similar size tank and there isnā€™t no relationship between them , 8inchs is roughly a size Iā€™d expect oscars to start the pairing process but maybe a little small still for actual breeding , they are funny characters and one of mine will lie down like itā€™s dying when water changes happen the other takes advantage of the shallow water and gives other fish a sneaky jab , I canā€™t sex oscars and I believe they are virtually impossible to sex as an individual without venting

6 silver dollars and two oscars in a 125 is a big bio load but with the filtration you have itā€™s about right but once all fully grown thatā€™s going to be a cramped tank without a pleco , and having a large tank Iā€™m guessing your looking for a large pleco .
A breeding pair of oscars will most likely use the whole 125 as there territory probably leaving 6 x7inch silver dollars a little lost and vulnerable I personally would hold off adding the dollars until you know if they are a breeding pair
I was only going to add the dollars because I found out you want to have at least 5. But I already have a pleco and he is getting large. He is roughly 5 months old.
The oscars occasionally lip lock. But don't fight. And the slowly stroke each other.l I don't know what sex they are at this point. But I've never seen such affection between 2 Oscars. And they were bought separately
Hard to see but there is King Ecbert

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_083021.jpg
    IMG_20220718_083021.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 27

Should I jump to a 180 or 220? If I have an animal, I try to give them the best life possible.. these Oscars have taught me so much. I had no idea they are like kids...really like kids.

Should I jump to a 180 or 220? If I have an animal, I try to give them the best life possible.. these Oscars have taught me so much. I had no idea they are like kids...really like kids.
I plan to put my oscars with my common pleco in a 250g pond build eventually but your in no rush a 125 will house two oscars just nicely is it a 5x2x2 ?
Cichlids are very affectionate and sounds like they are courting somewhat , what for body shakes , one will normally shake itā€™s body in a way that looks threateningbut itā€™s normally a male trying to impress the female , be an awesome project breeding oscars , I hope you do have a pair , breeding cichlids is very rewarding

Brilliant advice from @Guyb93 here :) Looks like you have some time before you have to upgrade but getting upto 180-200 would be really good for these guys, the dollars and the pleco. I wouldnt add more fish to that (other than the new dollars) but it would be an awesome home for them! If you got the chance make sure you get some good hardscape and try and scape the tank to suit the fish - Lee Nuttal on YouTube used to do amazing American Cichlid tanks, not active anymore but really great inspiration for getting close to nature for these guys.

Wills

I plan to put my oscars with my common pleco in a 250g pond build eventually but your in no rush a 125 will house two oscars just nicely is it a 5x2x2 ?
Cichlids are very affectionate and sounds like they are courting somewhat , what for body shakes , one will normally shake itā€™s body in a way that looks threateningbut itā€™s normally a male trying to impress the female , be an awesome project breeding oscars , I hope you do have a pair , breeding cichlids is very rewarding
My tank is 72"Ɨ18"Ɨ21" roughly.

Attachments

• 20220720_115338.jpg
    20220720_115338.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220720_115128.jpg
    20220720_115128.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220720_115122.jpg
    20220720_115122.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 26

Most reactions