Oscar Tank Mates?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bumblebee Grouper

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a 55gallon tank with a single Oscar and to be honest it is looking bit dull even though Oscars are very magestic and fun. The tank has some small caves in the bottom for bottom dwellers such as plecos and sharks but I haven't added anything yet. So I was wandering if there's any fish I can add that will be compatible with my Oscar in a 55gallon. The Oscar is relatively small, he is 4 inches.
I did think about adding another Oscar but I do realise it would require a 75g+ so I already moved on from that idea. But yeah, any ideas for fish to be kept with Oscars?

Thanks in advance,
Bumblebee Grouper.

Good afternoon,

I have a 55gallon tank with a single Oscar and to be honest it is looking bit dull even though Oscars are very magestic and fun. The tank has some small caves in the bottom for bottom dwellers such as plecos and sharks but I haven't added anything yet. So I was wandering if there's any fish I can add that will be compatible with my Oscar in a 55gallon. The Oscar is relatively small, he is 4 inches.
I did think about adding another Oscar but I do realise it would require a 75g+ so I already moved on from that idea. But yeah, any ideas for fish to be kept with Oscars?

Thanks in advance,
Bumblebee Grouper.
Depends ... are you looking for larger or smaller tank mates?

Larger - Arowana should be fine but caution your 55 Gallon wont fit for long as they grew and grew ... and ..
Smaller - Convict Cichlid they can hold up to their self that hinders the Oscars to disturb them ...

Depends ... are you looking for larger or smaller tank mates?

Larger - Arowana should be fine but caution your 55 Gallon wont fit for long as they grew and grew ... and ..
Smaller - Convict Cichlid they can hold up to their self that hinders the Oscars to disturb them ...
Pretty sure Arowanas reach 4 foot long and require at least 300 gallons. And yes, I was thinking larger tank Mates.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Your Oscar is just a baby, and at some stage you will need a larger tank. If you like Oscars get him a mate now before he grows up to much. The other fish are things like Silver dollars, convict Cichlids, Severums. Anything you add will still require you to up grade your tank in the future.

Usually for a 55, you don't want to start with an Oscar, as they can grow to be 12 inches, and Oscars are aggressive, even opposing to snails! I would say, if possible, upgrade to a 75 and get rainbow fish and silver dollars, but be careful with silver dollars as they are fin nippers so keep an eye out

A 55 is really bare minimum for an oscar alone with no tankmates. Many would argue that a 75 is actually the minimum for an oscar only.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back