Opinions On Additives To Your Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ashcole1989

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice, personal experience and also your opinions.

So recently I've been having a few issues with cloudy water, smoke like and a pale white in colour. After some research and sound advice from a very trusted LFS (Who advised AGAINST a sale!) It appears to be a bacteria bloom that 'should' clear up.
I've made a larger water change than normal, removed a plant I wasn't too pleased with, and gave my filter media a bit of a clean (a good shake in aquarium water during my water change), and a bit of gravel cleaning. Hopefully in a few days it should clear up.

So to the point! During my research and looking around on the net (and also at a few LFS I've come across) I've found supplements/additives to add to your tank to help with things. I personally use API Stress Coat+ as a dechlor and I've seen a few other products they offer.

For example:
API Stress Zyme+ which helps the bacteria in the filter and helps tor clearer water.

API Accu-Clear which helps to clump dirt for the filter to pick up to help again with clearer water.

These are just two from the range I've come across. Reviews all favour them, although I'm not sure if it'd do more harm than good.

So opinions, advice or experience of anyone?

Thanks!

I'm very much against any additives except ones that will provide nutrients to my plants and of course, dechlorinator.

Besides this, I'm all in for patience is virtue.

I agree, other than ferts, or meds when needed, and of course dechlor.
Other than that, new stock, hardscape and plants are all I add. Patience is the hardest thing to add, always seems in short supply.

Agreed with above. Did you cycle your tank?

Don't rush it, wait for it to  go away, it happens to everyone so don't blame yourself.

I kind of expected most people to be against using them to be honest. As I've said, I've seem them all over the place and highly reviewed by those who have bought them from the likes of amazon etc. For example those just adding the accu-clear during water changes to help quickly eradicate dirt from their substrate.

This morning my water has cleared up a fair bit, although still has a few white floaty bits in it and is still slightly cloudy/misty/smoky.

Tank before this bloom:

Yesterday:

Today:

Ninjouzata said:
Agreed with above. Did you cycle your tank?

Short answer; no.
I got my tank set up and my mum bought me a few mollies and corydoras. I've been checking my water pretty much daily, and have been making frequent water changes. Tank has been running for around 2 weeks or so now. I've got my API Freshwater Master Kit for my tests and I'm only seeing 0.25 ammonia so far.
The water was crystal clear until I added a couple of plants from a LFS, and also started using Hikari Sinking Wafers and some JMC catfish pellets for the corydoras (both of which they seem to not bother with -.-).

So I'm getting there slowly but surely and taking my time with things.

Thanks for the opinions so far, and would still like to hear of others opinions, and possibly some experience (if there is any out there!)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back