Opinion - Rot Or Blown?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Auratus

Why am I browsing a fish forum at 2am?
Reaction score
Do you guys think his tail is blown, or is this tail rot?

Not that it makes much difference the treatment is pretty much the same. I already cleaned the tank, added salt and melafix. Anything else? Just noticed this yesterday.

Sorry about picture quality

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

If I were you I'd do a couple of water changes to remove/lower the concentration of melafix. Bettas can react badly to it (hence why 'bettafix' exists). Betta fix is just a less concentrated version so if you just you less then you can continue to use melafix. For the record though clean water should be sufficient.

Is he flaring alot?

Interpid anti fungal and finrot is good to use IMO.

looks like he caught it on something. doesnt look like finrot or a "blown" fin. should heal up nicely. i agree with diluting the melafix-certainly not needed and can do more harm than good. keep the water clean and feed hgh protein foods.
cheers

My melafix is the concentrated stuff for ponds, 5ml per 50 gallons. I so it would be 0.10ml for a 1 gallon tank and that is what I used. I will do a water change when I get home from work.

Can anyone give info on why melafix is harmful to bettas?

No-one really knows but it has been known to cause both long-term problems and instant death in labyrinth fish. It is believed to inhibit the use of the labyrinth organ but there may be other complications. It is generally safe if applied directly to the wound but I would never use it just added to the water, not even in small doses.

Also, he couldn't have caught it on anything b/c I don't keep any decor in my hm tanks for that reason. Just gravel or sand.

Also, he couldn't have caught it on anything b/c I don't keep any decor in my hm tanks for that reason. Just gravel or sand.

Could be biting. That would be a sign of stress and/or boredom.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back