ophthmotilapia boops

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i'd really like to get my hands on a pair of these fish,they look like something special :wub: but i am limited to smaller tanks(ran out'a room :X )would a 55g be to small?i also have a tank that's 24x12x17 but i'm sure that's to small right :unsure:
http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke/list.htm

salvagiani_ophthalmotilapia_boops_nkondwe_1.jpg

is this it?

Ophthalmotilapia boops Kipili "Neon Streak"

Origin and locale/variety: Nkondwe, Kipili--Tanzania, Lake Tanganyika, East Africa

Size: Adults are usually 3.5 to 5.5 inches in aquarium environment.

Sex differences: Males show dark purple/black bodies with a neon blue/white streak from the middle of the torso through the caudal. Males also develop large yellow lapets on the tips of the ventral fins and may obtain long filaments. The females range from silver to dark gray depending upon mood. Females may also show remnants of the yellow lapets.

Aquarium behavior: Ophthalmotilapia boops may be one of the few featherfins to constantly hold full color. Very rarely is the dominant male seen in less than full breeding dress. Ophthalmotilapia can be kept in either community set-ups or single species aquaria. In the community environment, their keeper will quickly know where the dominant male decides to call home. A fairly large aquarium is recommended, as they are somewhat territorial. This fish is active and spends much time and energy showing off to conspecifics.

Aquarium diet: O. boops readily accept most foods: flakes, frozen, pellets, and live. A combination of flakes, frozen, and live is recommended. This fish also enjoys grazing algae from the edges of rocks.

Observed spawning habits: The dominant male entices females into his territory. She will enter when she is ready to spawn. She will lay her eggs and the males will begin the fertilization process. As the male is fertilizing them, she picks them up to begin a mouthbrooding session that can last up to a month.

Other information: Ophthalmotilapia boops Kipili is infrequently available. Besides being in great demand, the fish enjoys constant attention and is the topic for many conversations among Tanganyikan enthusiasts.

Would be fine in your 24/12/17 depending on whats in there with em. These might be hard to find though.

holy moly impur!!! where'd ya get all that from?? :eek: so you think i can get away w/a pair in the small tank??if anything else is gonna be added it'll only be a dwarf petricola cat.
thanks thats way more than i can find on the net :thumbs:

btw-armkes had them last week but they'r all out :sad:

i really don't think i'd put them in a tank that's 24in. long. I've heard that they are pretty agressive in the fact that the males like to have good sized territories to make their nests, and i really think you'd be asking for trouble in a 24in tank. Featherfins need a lot of space. But i've never had featherfins so let's wait to see what CM has to say on the topic.

-"letters"

Most,

NO WAY NO HOW will these work in anything less than a 48x18!!!!!!!!!!

Don't even attempt it. Here do this instead..........take your $$$$ (cause that's what they cost)....throw it in the toilet and FLUSH!!!!!

That's exactly what you would be doing with your money if you put a pair of these in a 2ft tank!!!! A 55 is really to small as well.

These fish need a lot of swimming room and a 55 is just not wide enough....also it is best not to keep these in just pairs, but at the VERY least a trio.

This, of course is JMO, but it's an opinion based on keeping several different varieties of Optholmoltilapia species.

In fact I just got rid of a female O. ventralis orange side.....reason....she killed a quad of Telmatochromis intermmedius I had with her in a 50 gallon breeder!!!!

She was HALF their size as well...and was in with them for almost a year before going on the nut and doing them in.

CM

Don't even attempt it. Here do this instead..........take your $$$$ (cause that's what they cost)....throw it in the toilet and FLUSH!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
never mind anyway,i had to use the tank for my baby sajica :hyper: :fun:

so let's say i can get a 75g later on :crazy: will this setup work

1pr or trio O.Boops
1=n.nigriventris
4=t.brichardi
3=J.regani
4=j.transcriptus
5=cyprichromis lept."blue flash"(can add more later)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back