Opening And Closing Mouths Rapidly?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SamLovesCorys

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Norfolk, UK
Some of my fish (Predominantly Rummynose Tetras and Black Neons) are breathing rapidly, opening and closing their mouths and gills. Ammonia etc are all fine and I did a water change today, so I wondered if it was oxygen levels or just natural behaviour. Do I need to add my air pump?

Thanks, Sam

Emergency water test!!

Did you clean the filter as well? And if so, how? Under the tap?
How much water did you change etc?
How big is tank and how long has it been set up?

Chances are it might be a big ole ammonia/nitrite spike.

Any bottle of cycle/filterstart etc might help but testing is urgent.

hello? He's already said he's tested.
I used to have this problem with my tetras, Air pump defintely needed! :D

my head and tail light tetras do the same and have done since i had them ,the cardinals on the other hand dont gasp at all i run an air pump also

I meant retest, double check with a different test kit.

Ate they gathered at the surface? That will be a good indication that o2 is low.

I had just one fish that was gipping its mouth quickly like this. All the others were normal, and apart from the mouth movement every other aspect of that fish's behaviour was normal. It did not go to the surface. I did about a 70% water change, but it didn't stop gipping, and the following morning it was dead. The behaviour came on immediately after feeding them, and I wonder if it had something stuck in its throat it was trying to swallow. I had thought maybe a temporary high ammonia or nitrite level did it, but it seemed unlikely as that's not something you ever see mentioned in symptoms of that, and if it was bad enough to kill one fish stone dead, the chances of the other fish being completely symptom free struck me as unlikely. It remains the only fish death I've had (so far) and examining the corpse gave me no visible clues.

If it is O2 levels, the fish will be at the surface and the addition of an air pump should have shown a difference within a few hours.

If they're eating fine and seem healthy, I wouldn't bother :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back