One shrimp w/ betta in 5 gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've got a dragon betta in a 5 gallon who misses some food. (I feed piece by piece but some fall and I can't find it). I of course do water changes but I was wondering if I could get away with a single shrimp in there as well to help clean up that missed food. I don't really know if shrimp are groupies or not... and I know a lot of people say it won't be enough space but it would really help me... I'd get the smallest one. But want to know what you think. I appreciate your insight!

More often than not, shrimp become a very tasty snack for bettas...I'd get a nerite snail or two, instead

Be sure not to overfeed, in such a small tank, water params can go south quickly if there's rotting food in the tank

More often than not, shrimp become a very tasty snack for bettas...I'd get a nerite snail or two, instead

Be sure not to overfeed, in such a small tank, water params can go south quickly if there's rotting food in the tank
I don't overfeed. He just... doesn't always see pieces of food. I try moving them gently toward his good eye but sometimes that makes it fall to the bottom. Sometimes he'll see it and get it. Other times, it's gone and I can't find it. Water parameters aren't too bad. I didn't know snails would eat food waste. I thought they were plant eaters only. If a snail will do the job I'm okay with that... just don't want a ton because of a pregnant snail.

Shrimp live in colonies, so a singleton cherry shrimp would be a bit sad... I wouldn't, especially with a betta that's likely to eat and/or terrify the shrimp. Even amano shrimp that some keep alone are suggested to be in groups of six or more as they're social, and that would be a crowd in a 5g, they're pretty large shrimp. Also bear in mind the size of a shrimp's stomach... a single cherry shrimp isn't going to be able to eat a whole betta pellet in one go! So there will still be a mess to clean.

There are some shrimp that are fine as singletons, like bamboo shrimp, but they're huge and not suitable for a 5g really! Also not good clean up crew.
If you go for a snail, a mystery snail would work. Hermaphrodites, but I think they still need another in order to fertilise eggs - but I could be wrong on that, so you'd need to do your own research! If they did lay eggs, it's easy to prevent them hatching since they lay them in a big bunch above the water line, so easy to spot and remove, unlike bladder or ramshorn snails that dot their eggs all over plant leaves and things so you wouldn't always find them all.

Nerite snails are the most popular for this. They're excellent algae eaters, and cannot reproduce in fresh water, so no babies appearing. But, the females will usually still lay bright white eggs all over the tank and decor, which a lot of people (like me) hate, because it can look ugly and the eggs are hard to remove. And you won't know whether the snail is male or female until eggs begin appearing...

For leftover food, the best cleaner crew is you! And a turkey baster. Seriously. Watch the betta as you feed him, and any uneaten food, suck it up with the turkey baster to remove it straight away. Left over fish food breaks down and produces ammonia, so leaving uneaten food and hoping the snail or shrimp takes care of it is risky. turkey baster is quick and easy, and means you don't have to get the gravel vac out every time you feed. 😉

Shrimp live in colonies, so a singleton cherry shrimp would be a bit sad... I wouldn't, especially with a betta that's likely to eat and/or terrify the shrimp. Even amano shrimp that some keep alone are suggested to be in groups of six or more as they're social, and that would be a crowd in a 5g, they're pretty large shrimp. Also bear in mind the size of a shrimp's stomach... a single cherry shrimp isn't going to be able to eat a whole betta pellet in one go! So there will still be a mess to clean.

There are some shrimp that are fine as singletons, like bamboo shrimp, but they're huge and not suitable for a 5g really! Also not good clean up crew.
If you go for a snail, a mystery snail would work. Hermaphrodites, but I think they still need another in order to fertilise eggs - but I could be wrong on that, so you'd need to do your own research! If they did lay eggs, it's easy to prevent them hatching since they lay them in a big bunch above the water line, so easy to spot and remove, unlike bladder or ramshorn snails that dot their eggs all over plant leaves and things so you wouldn't always find them all.

Nerite snails are the most popular for this. They're excellent algae eaters, and cannot reproduce in fresh water, so no babies appearing. But, the females will usually still lay bright white eggs all over the tank and decor, which a lot of people (like me) hate, because it can look ugly and the eggs are hard to remove. And you won't know whether the snail is male or female until eggs begin appearing...

For leftover food, the best cleaner crew is you! And a turkey baster. Seriously. Watch the betta as you feed him, and any uneaten food, suck it up with the turkey baster to remove it straight away. Left over fish food breaks down and produces ammonia, so leaving uneaten food and hoping the snail or shrimp takes care of it is risky. turkey baster is quick and easy, and means you don't have to get the gravel vac out every time you feed. 😉
I have a good turkey baster and cup at the ready! I just can't always find it. It's great for other waste too. It definitely cuts down on water changes. He's probably due for one. Will be leaving late today and coming home Early Friday. Will probably be able to do it then, although I'm getting a special bladder treatment that morning, so I might not be able until Saturday. Water perams aren't too bad an I'll try and use the baster to root through the gravel and loosen the food piece that I missed last night. THanks!

I have a good turkey baster and cup at the ready! I just can't always find it. It's great for other waste too. It definitely cuts down on water changes. He's probably due for one. Will be leaving late today and coming home Early Friday. Will probably be able to do it then, although I'm getting a special bladder treatment that morning, so I might not be able until Saturday. Water perams aren't too bad an I'll try and use the baster to root through the gravel and loosen the food piece that I missed last night. THanks!
Please please, do the water change before you go away! Always good to do that, and even more so if he's overdue for one.

ETA: With a five gallon, it only takes a few minutes to gravel vac and remove 50-60% of the water. Pet welfare comes first!

The only reason I might not is because I'm in a LOT of pain today. Unusually so. Normally I would. If I'm a bit better in an hour or so I'll do it. Promise. Some days... pain takes priority. But I'll try to do it.

The only reason I might not is because I'm in a LOT of pain today. Unusually so. Normally I would. If I'm a bit better in an hour or so I'll do it. Promise. Some days... pain takes priority. But I'll try to do it.
I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. I just don't want you to go away and come home to a dead betta... and with uneaten food in the substrate, a very small volume of water, and already overdue for a water change, that can lead to very bad water quality, very fast, and either a very stressed fish, or a very dead one.

If you can enlist someone to help you, so they carry buckets etc, don't be afraid to do that! Or my mother with her disability and pain levels would break a task down into sections, and do it slowly. For example here, first stage I'd use the turkey baster or gravel vac to remove the worst of the waste from the surface, then rest for a while. Then remove more water, cleaning as you go, take a break. Then empty the buckets, rest, etc. Truly sorry to hear you're in so much pain, and hope it improves soon for your sake, as well as your bettas!

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. I just don't want you to go away and come home to a dead betta... and with uneaten food in the substrate, a very small volume of water, and already overdue for a water change, that can lead to very bad water quality, very fast, and either a very stressed fish, or a very dead one.

If you can enlist someone to help you, so they carry buckets etc, don't be afraid to do that! Or my mother with her disability and pain levels would break a task down into sections, and do it slowly. For example here, first stage I'd use the turkey baster or gravel vac to remove the worst of the waste from the surface, then rest for a while. Then remove more water, cleaning as you go, take a break. Then empty the buckets, rest, etc. Truly sorry to hear you're in so much pain, and hope it improves soon for your sake, as well as your bettas!
Thank you. I've been struggling over a year. I'm doing a bit better. I'll definitely siphon before going. I may not empty to jugs... but they'll still be here on Friday when I return. :) Siphoning isn't so bad. It's the lifting of full jugs. Fish is acting really great. Healthiest he's ever acted, honestly. He actually when in the little cave thing for the first time (I saw) yesterday. Exciting! But I love him and never want him to suffer. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back