One month on!

Munroco

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
4 days the embers have been in with the Betta and no problems so far. Both seem happy with the move. I think its good for him to have something to catch his interest.

OP
C

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Well lockdown has stopped me from adding more shrimp but man have the plants grown. My java fern is really filling out now since getting rid of the floating plants. But the fish seem perfectly happy without. Still struggling with my hairgrass as it just doesn't seem to want to carpet, but il persevere!

Attachments

vanalisa

Fish Gatherer
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I think betta can be a really good community fish, it just depends on the personality of the fish.
I have seriously considered a betta sorority tank, but it seemed like a lot of work and possible aggression. I'm glad your female is working out. :)

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I have seriously considered a betta sorority tank, but it seemed like a lot of work and possible aggression. I'm glad your female is working out. :)
I thought about putting in a female gourami and a female betta in my community.

dmpfishlover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Beautiful Tank!!! I love the driftwood and how it extends out of the water.

I love the look of rimless tanks, but they are hard to come by here in the US (at least in my experience) for a decent price anyway... they can be pretty pricey...

OP
C

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Well I seem to be losing the battle with BGA recently. Covers my hairgrass and I'm constantly picking it out.

Lights have always been on a 24 hours full spectrum from night, dawn, full and dusk but I have now put them on a timer so that light is only on for 7 hours to see if that helps.
I turned them off fully for a few days and the bga was almost all gone, but, as soon as they were back on for any length of time it returned so I know something's out of wack.

I usually dose API liquid co2 daily and dose with Searches Florish every few days. I read that upping the fert can combat bga but when I did it seemed to get worse.

Still Doing 50% water changes weekly

Ammonia at 0.5ppm
Nitrites at 0ppm
Nitrates are at about 2-3ppm

Tank is pretty heavily planted and my nitrates have never been above 5.

Recently changed to a sponge filter aswell
Also have an airstone going 24/7

Any advice to try? Overdosing the fert? Reducing the light further?

Thanks

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I think betta can be a really good community fish, it just depends on the personality of the fish.
They love to eat shrimp! Mine cut my shrimp community down to half in a matter of days. ;(

trending

Staff online