One Fish

Orodreth

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
115
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, England
Hello all,

I am looking for an idea for one fish to go in my main community tank. The reason for it is, my nephew (I guess thats the nearest thing I can call him...) who is ten likes fish but we know from experience that he won't really look after them after the initial phase (He is ten after all :rolleyes: ). Therefore to combat this problem I thought it would be a good idea to allow him to pick, name and (supposedly and under very strict supervision look after :P ) one in my tank.

I don't really want it to be a fish I have already got, you can see below, although I guess one of a different variety that is distinctive enough (as in different colour) would be okay. But obviously it will need to be a fish that doesn't mind being single, won't hide all the time and is good in a community environment.

Not all the fish listed in my signature are in the same tank but the ones that are include corys, platys, neons, silver tips, bristlenose, rams etc. Nothing too scary in there.

I know he likes the Corydoras (Sterbai are in this tank) but I don't think its good to have just one of a different variety is it? Or would it hang around with the others and not mind the difference?

Anyway,

Thanks in advance :D
 
How about a loan Gourami? Maybe a pearl or honey? Wouldnt upset your current community and I believe wouldnt be too bothered on its own.
 
Give him a spiney eel.... in general, it looks like they don't mind being alone..... They are unique to your other fish, and for body length, he'll think that he's got the best & biggest fish in your aquarium.....
 
Hey,

Thanks for both your replies. I'm compiling a list for him and doing research myself so I will be able to let him choose from it. I will look into these two - research time! :good:

Any more suggestions out there?
 
Does it have to be a fish ?

Perhaps he would enjoy an invertabrate.

I don't know much about them, but in this route, a big filter shrimp maybe? They're a good size, look like lobsters, but don't have the risk of eating your fish that a crayfish might.

I'd suggest a gourami too (pearl or gold would stand out well, and would be bigger than the bulk of your fish which he might like), but I notice there's a betta in there. If it's a male, you could have a fight on your hands.

Maybe another platy. You can probably find one that looks entirely different than the existing group, so he'd be able to find his fish easily. Depending on weather or not you care about hybrid offspring, a male swordtail would also stand out with the platys.
 
I never thought of going for an invertibrate instead, that might be good. There are some Algae Shrimp in there already, but something different would be nice.

I'm not sure about an Angelfish with the Neons, aren't they food to them?

I notice there's a betta in there. If it's a male, you could have a fight on your hands.

The Betta isn't actually in this tank, he is in another. Sorry for the confusion.

The Swordtail idea is good too. Oh my, the list is growing, great! :hyper:
 
Well, for a 10 yr old lad I reckon one or two African Dwarf Frogs would thrill him to bits. They are so comical to watch and will thrive well in your community tank, providing you ensure they get their fair share of the food (they love bloodworms).

I have two ADFs in one of my comm tanks - they are in with a dwarf gourami, 4 neons, two sailfin mollies, two german rams and 3 guppies. Before that they were in a different tank with 2 severums, female betta, rainbow shark. Absolutely no problems at all - apart from when the severums were spawning, the male would sometimes grab a frog in its mouth (usually by a leg) and move him to the other side of the tank and spit him out - just doing his job of protecting the eggs the female severum had laid and the frog was unharmed although probably a bit shocked (hence why I moved them out of that tank).

One word of caution, though, if you do decide on ADFs - make sure that they actually are African Dwarf Frogs and not African Clawed Frogs (ADFs stay small - about 2", whereas the ACFs will grow to the size of your hand and polish off the fish in your tank!).

The ADFs have both webbed feet and hands - the ACFs, as their name implies, have clawed hands that are not webbed and they are often of the albino variety.

Athena
 
Or just give him a little 2 gal with his own Betta.... will solve the problem of who feeds and when.
 
How big is the tank LxWxH you could maybe get him a Redtail or Rainbow Shark!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top