OliveFish05’s double tank journal and builds (20 gallon tropical community and 40 gallon axolotl tank)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I
Just be careful that the large ones don't start chewing on the little guy, watch them closely.
I have been. I know they can be snappy around food, so I drop food on either side of the tank so they can get away from eachother to eat if needed. I also am watching for any chunks out of their gills, tail, or feet. That’s one of they main reasons I removed the hardscape, so they could have space to get away but still have two separate areas to hide.

Wow, they're getting so big!

0cc2107c2b294bd8f6091c49d86d3e67.gif

Hello. I am switching up my 10 gallon and 55 gallon tanks completely so decided to make a single journal for the builds and journals of all my tanks and my new setups. I am changing a lot of things. My old setup was a 55 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank, both tropical communities. My plan going forward is a 40 breeder and a 20 long, one with axolotls and one a tropical community.

Bought the 40 breeder today, picking it up this week. Got my 20 long set up, but not in its permanent location. The 55 gallon and the 10 gallon are listed on my local Craigslist. My plan is to build or buy a tank stand that can hold both the 40 and the 20.

My plan
40 gallon -
2 sponge filters
Lidless tank
Black sand
Dragon stone
Plants (planted and some that grow up out of the tank)
2-3 axolotls

20 Long -
Aquaclear 50
Lots of live plants
13 Pygmy cories (Bifur, Bofur, Bombar, Fili, Kili, Oin, Gloin, Balin, Dwalin, Ori, Nori, Dori, and Thorin)
1 BN Pleco (Gandalf)
2 nerite snails (Bard and Smaug)
10 marbled hatchetfish (Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Belladona, Mirabella, Rosie, and two names I have yet to think of)
A group of green neons
Cherry shrimp

Y’all see the theme right?

I will post updates regularly! Hoping to get the neons, hatchetfish, and shrimp sometime in December.
Love the community names!!❤

My light went out on my 40 gallon. I spill some water over the top of it, and it burned the leds out. Not sure what to do. It was a decent little light, if I hadn’t got the water in it. I may buy another, and be more careful. Unfortunately there was no warranty and no returns after 30 days. I will likely move the one from my 20 gallon up to the 40, and boy a nicer one for the 20. Or not. I don’t have a plan right now, except that I have to move some of the plants from the 40 Gallon down to the 20 to save them. They aren’t doing well with no light and the tank looks bad right now

I am far from the handiest guy around with zero to no carpentry skills yet I once built a nice stand from plywood and 2x4's. The thing about building your own is that you can make it the exact dimensions you want. Mine held two tanks top and bottom. I left enough room separating the bottom from the top so that I didn't have to cuss and fume doing maintenance and water changes in the bottom tank. I left the sides a bit longer so I had room for air pumps and food containers. Same with the front to back dimensions. Big tanks like yours you might consider 2x6's for the legs and 3/4 inch plywood for the shelves. Drill holes and bolt the thing together. Nails and screws break under weight. This also makes it easy to take apart and move if you have to. Wood is nice because you can paint or stain to your personal liking. No tools ? Not to worry. Everybody and their brothers and cousins have them and are usually eager to help out or show off their skills. Somebody with a table saw could come in handy.

Move light units off tanks when cleaning the aquarium.

If most of the plants are in the bigger tank, move the light unit onto that for 12 hours a day and then move the light back to the smaller tank for 12 hours. Over a 24 hour period, both tanks will get 12 hours of light and this should keep the plants alive until you get a new light unit.

When the light unit is dry, you might be able to replace the LEDs and get it working. If you know an electrician, they should be able to fix it for you. Anyone in your family a sparky (electrician)?

By right, the LED should be sealed inside the glass or some materials that is water proof or water resistant.

You will need a soldering iron if you want to repair it but provided the cover of the lighting can be opened up.
Check the youtube for some videos.

Last edited:
I did a water change on both tanks today. I feel like I haven’t touched them in weeks! I did some rearranging of both tanks, trying to make them nice while I wait for my new light to come. I’m ordering one today. I actually really love the way both of them are right now, so likely won’t rearrange anything again for many months... hopefully. The axolotl tank felt so bare, so empty. I added the clay pots. It fills the space nicely, though still less than the dragon stone used to. I haven”t seen the axolotls since, so clearly they have places to hide!
55A59666-AA6D-40E0-B4F1-4F5FD7781DD5.jpeg
653BF441-9AC9-49EC-9BD2-D67016ECB62E.jpeg

The umbrella palms are going back out to the pond in a couple weeks, I will likely fill their space with more lucky bamboo! The axolotls are getting SO BIG. I love them so much

Move the pots away from the side of the tank so there is room for the axos and water to get behind them easily.

The sword plants in the first picture look like they are rotting.

Umbrella grass should not be completely submerged or it rots.

Umbrella grass should not be completely submerged or it rots.
These are little baby spring plants. I moved them closer to the surface (in the pots) so they can grow up and out of the water better.
The sword plants in the first picture look like they are rotting.
they are. I forgot root tabs again…
Move the pots away from the side of the tank so there is room for the axos and water to get behind them easily.
there’s a big gap in the back:)

Bummer about your light. I spill water on my LED lights all the time, and I haven't fried one yet...
This was some cheap, off brand light. I think I paid $17, so it’s no surprise… I think it is because it is a cheap light and then the water came in from above…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back