up filters and air powered
hang on filters and fluorescent
tubes were just coming in
most of the time we just had
a plain old 100 watt bulb
any body else remember anything
else from the early days like
piston style are pumps and the likes

I can remember when undergravels were the height of sophistication...

I still have a separate heater and thermostat hanging round somewhere (not in use though!)

Things have changed so much; for the better though; it's amazing we managed to keep anything alive, really :crazy:

I have a collection of old aquarium books from the 50s, 60s and 70s; some "great" reading in those; hardly any of them mention water changes; one goes on about how water gets better for fish the older it is and says if it goes green, to put it in a blacked-out container for a few weeks and then put it back in...the water must have been practically solid with nitrates; though they do massively under-stock and over-plant compared to what we do now.

They're not all bad though; I have one written by a guy called Reginald Dutta that has some brilliant things in it; I love the way he writes about letting the colour and body shape/markings of fish 'talk' to you to tell you what conditions they need; it's a cool thing.
He has some mad but great ideas on aquascaping as well; if you ever see a copy any where, I can totally recommend it.

I can remember when undergravels were the height of sophistication...

I still have a separate heater and thermostat hanging round somewhere (not in use though!)

Things have changed so much; for the better though; it's amazing we managed to keep anything alive, really :crazy:

I have a collection of old aquarium books from the 50s, 60s and 70s; some "great" reading in those; hardly any of them mention water changes; one goes on about how water gets better for fish the older it is and says if it goes green, to put it in a blacked-out container for a few weeks and then put it back in...the water must have been practically solid with nitrates; though they do massively under-stock and over-plant compared to what we do now.

They're not all bad though; I have one written by a guy called Reginald Dutta that has some brilliant things in it; I love the way he writes about letting the colour and body shape/markings of fish 'talk' to you to tell you what conditions they need; it's a cool thing.
He has some mad but great ideas on aquascaping as well; if you ever see a copy any where, I can totally recommend it.

i do have a few kicking about
i just need to find out who as got them
so i can get them back but your right
but we didn't have so many deaths then
as they do now its strange that like
yes you are right about being over planted
and understocked i still like to use UG
filters for my gold fish with them been a mucky
fish do you remember piston air pumps and some of the other
stuff i was on about they were good days i think

I don't remember piston air pumps, but then I didn't have a filtered tank until about 1987 :blush:

I don't remember piston air pumps, but then I didn't have a filtered tank until about 1987 :blush:
how did we manage to do what
we did i remember doing and over
tank filter and it was air powered
it was like a trickle filter they
were quite good it's funny how a lot
of old style filter were air powered

Angle iron frame tanks with the glass sealed with putty.
The conspicuous lack of medications that we all see today.... that seem to evoke paranoia when something is up.
We had Metheylene Blue and Malachite Green and Salt to cure all LOL
Regards
C

steel framed tanks i remember
buying a load of lab tanks all
steel frame and ten mill glass
i used to make tank stands out
of old tank frames lol

Most reactions

Back