What's new

Old Oscar Weird Behaviour

draconis

Reaction score
Hello,
Havent been here in a LONG TIME but I finally got around to ask the experts. I have this 5+ year Oscar (could be 7 years? honestly dont remember when I got him!). He used to share the tank with a Pleco and a mellow Jack Dempsey, both recently died (several months ago). Anyway, here is the question: Why does he keep making holes on the gravel!? (see pic) Hes done in the past but now hes just killing the plants and really making a mess. Thanks all for the help.

PS,
Will it be OK if I put another fish in there, maybe a pleco?

Attachments

Metalhead88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Thats normal behavior.

What size tank is this? It doesn't look like you have much room to add another big fish.

Barry Tetra

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
thats normal for oscar. make a little place for him to hide

Last edited:

Jan Cavalieri

Fishaholic
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
I don't know much about Oscars but I read they like to have another Oscar around for company but you probably don't have room. What an adorable fish!!!!

OP
draconis

draconis

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I look into some decor that can he can use as a "place", but since he's at least 12 in long, is going to be a challenge. For now, I guess I'll leave him alone and just enjoy the pleasure of rearranging the gravel when I do the water changes he...he.
PS,
The tank is 75G. I updated the signature on my profile LOL

Metalhead88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would not recommend attempting to add any other fish.

He's a big boy and needs his own territory....not to mention the extreme messiness of oscars and the heavy bio load that they contribute.

He will be perfectly happy alone.

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days