Old Heater Fault?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
I have a 5 gall with plants waiting for a new betta. I'm keeping the filter going with ammonia. I had a supafish 25w heater in there. It was set at 32C, the highest it would go, but the temp never went over 25C. That's about 7C over the current room temp. In winter, I know that room gets to 10C, so the heater wasn't going to cut it.
So I bought a new one, a 100W visitherm. Searching around, best price was over £15. Then I saw eBay item 190337804255 £9.04 delivered :good: It's arrived and I've just put it in, so I'll see how stable the temp stays.
Now I've taken the old one out though, I think it may have been faulty-see the melted bit in the red circle?
4000172599_01c890e538_b.jpg

It's only a few months old and the temp was stable, although low, at 25C. Worth keeping as a spare, or bin do you think?
 
Have you ever had that out of water? thats would happen if the heater was on and the water level was below it, take it out of the plastic and if its not cracked or black or damaged on the windings then its fine just gotten to hot for the plastic

Also if the heater was hot still when i was removed it would easily melt the plastic
 
Thanks for the reply :) When I do a water change, the bottom half is still under water. And last week when I did a full rescape, I switched it off. Maybe I should have switched it off for a while before I took it out? It all looks good under the guard though, so I'll keep it I think :good:
 
Yeah thats the problem it will off needed time to cool off before you took it out of water it will stay hot for atleast half an hour after its been removed from water so ten minutes of been turned off in water would of brought it down to tank temp and not damaged the plastic guard
 

Most reactions

Back
Top