Old Betta Going Blind?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well if that's how you two feel in your 20's I might as well shoot myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well if that's how you two feel in your 20's I might as well shoot myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

there is more age talk than fish talk here! lol but netty dont shoot your self! we need you!!

my mom thinks she is old she is 30, i dont think that is verry old?

netty how old are you? ???? ???? ???? ?

bronze how old are you? ???? ???? ???? ???

i wonder who the oldest people on this forum are? ???? ???? ?

(ehm..netty,ehm,,) lol

My betta about 4-5 yrs old and within the past 6 months he has devolped Cataracts. His eyes havent gone white but his puples turned a orngish/yellowish cloudy color and when you look in them it just looks like a empty orange cave.

He appears to see fine as he gets excited when he sees me and can find his food fine although you have to put it close to him.

I would never think that fish can get cataracts. I thought it was just for people and other animals like dogs and cats but fish definitly can. His eyes look just like my old cats and dogs eyes get when they get old.

My betta about 4-5 yrs old and within the past 6 months he has devolped Cataracts. His eyes havent gone white but his puples turned a orngish/yellowish cloudy color and when you look in them it just looks like a empty orange cave.

He appears to see fine as he gets excited when he sees me and can find his food fine although you have to put it close to him.

I would never think that fish can get cataracts. I thought it was just for people and other animals like dogs and cats but fish definitly can. His eyes look just like my old cats and dogs eyes get when they get old.

what does it mean when your fish has fully black eyes? some of mine do! some are half blue and half red with a black center and others are fully one other color with a pupil, also some have 2 different colored eyes? is this just like human eye color? so it is like genetics?

Put it this way, I have more years experience in fish keeping than you have been alive :nod:

Put it this way, I have more years experience in fish keeping than you have been alive :nod:

Thats an awesome way of putting it coming to think of it ... oh my god just realised same goes for me... :crazy:

lol i think this whole post is completely off topic!! lol

at least we are talking about eyes and ages tho!! lol has somthin to do with the original question... :lol:

I would say that as he's knocking on for 4 yrs old its a natural deterioration rather like you see in other animals. He may even be a lot older than you think if he was bought from an LFS. There is a possibility is the on-set of cloudy eye which can be treated well with Myxacin.

Agreed probably old age but if you want to treat him with a mild all round med go for it, it wont do any harm I use general tonic from the LFS when Im being over wary its diluted down formaldahide and pretty mild but it means if there is a problem your treating it and if not your not harming him. - as long as you keep to the dosages and read the bottle carefully.

I don't think I'm going to treat it.. I'm quite sure it's not any type of disease/sickness.

He's been acting like a weirdo, but he does still come up to the glass when I feed him, and he does eat.

I have had a fish develop a faint whitish coating over the pupil of his eye, similar, i expect, to cloudy eye, but JUST a small circle in the centre.
It went away with Pimafix.
He ate greedily, swam around, appeared almost normal except for that.
But it was either bacterial or fungal, and I'm very glad I didn't leave it, although he'd had it some time, during another treatment, with the Pimafix tried later.
He seems to have had some vision damage since, but I think it's getting better, although it's taken months, unless he's simply adjusted his judgement of distance to single-eye vision, which is quite possible.
And the same problem later appeared on a betta but, again, Pimafix cleared it up, almost entirely by the next day, as, having had experience, it was the first thing I tried.
In these cases, the problems were apparently related to unnoticed sick/dead snails, but injury can also produce such results, and resultant infection can rob the fish of vision.
So, I thought I'd mention, since if onset was both recent and sudden, it might be something of the kind and may well be treatable.
No 'dirty water' or neglect is required to produce such problems, but a few doses of Pimafix might just work wonders.
You'll never know unless you try.

One of my bettas, that I've had for going on four years (and he was already an adult when I got him from the lfs) has been going blind I believe. He sticks close to his plants and doesn't react to anyone's presence, not even the cats. He will come over and flare at the spot if I tap lightly on the glass, and he can still find his food quite easily. So he may be going blind, or he may just be getting cranky in his old age. I think I'd be getting cranky too, if I were his age.

Syphonia, I think I'll try the Pimafex, if it's even worth it if there's been no change in the eye color?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back